The Nubian Design Collective's Whole Vehicle Crafting Handbook

We just had 2 questions on our server about ship building/modding, and I thought I would find the answer in the Nubian book. But nope.

Wonder if you have an opinion on these, and if they should be included in your Guide.

1. Cost for Linked weapons: there are discussions that go either way…
    a. “+50%” means pay for 2 weapons for Linked 1, and then pay 50% more for linking parts.
    b. Don’t need to pay full cost for a linked gun, just add another barrel, so only +50% total for each Linked +1.

2. HP cost for weapons replacements.
There have been dev clarifications on this, that it always costs 1 HP to add, replace, or upgrade a gun emplacement. So adding a Heavy turret costs 1 HP, but so does replacing a Light turret with a Heavy turret. Really??
It seems logical that replacing costs 0 HP, but adding costs 1.

The cost for linked weapons is that you buy a single weapon, and then add 50% of the base cost on top of that for each extra barrel.

So if you spend 2,000cr for a weapon, Linked 1 would be 3,000, Linked 2 would be 4,000, and Linked 3 would be 5,000.

Replacing costs 0 HP. This is pretty clear in the CRB. The catch is if you are replacing a weapon with a weapon system “combining two or more weapons.” Then it costs 1 HP.

Personally, on a case-by-case basis for what’s reasonable, I don’t pay much heed to the linking weapons bit. If you’re replacing a light turbolaser with a dual heavy laser cannon, I’d probably allow it.
With smaller ships that don’t have turret mountings (like starfighters), it’d be a different story and would be on an emplacement-to-emplacement measure.

2 Likes

I agree with @P-47Thunderbolt

Hello everyone, something that has been bothering me for a while now is the 50% cost increase to make ship weapons duel/tri/quad. I’ve seen it on the wiki page, but can’t find it in any of the books or forum archives. What is the source of it?

Core Rulebook under Ships and Vehicles, Attachments, Weapons.

1 Like