Book of Boba Fett [Spoilers]

Well, we’ve seen one episode out of seven. Based on how he entered the scene in The Mandalorian, I think we’re going to see more of his time with the tribe. So, we don’t know yet that it’s “different for no reason” or “a standalone cosmetic choice.” It absolutely could be just a case of, “This is a group of Tuskens we’re going to spend extended time with, so we’re going to make them visually distinct,” or something genuinely different about them as opposed to the other Tuskens we’ve ever seen. This is, after all, from the same writer/Executive Producer who had people spending a year+ saying, “Whattaya mean, Mandalorians never take their helmets off? We saw 'em do it all the time in Clone Wars and Rebels!” only to verify that…yeah…it’s part of a different belief system among Mandalorians.

My first thought was eggs/direct offcast of some kind of the “sand Goro,” (we really need an official name for that thing :rofl: ) and that the pods’ presence doesn’t necessarily mean a Goro will be around. Being a bio-offshoot of the Goro (or some other Tatooine fauna) could account for Vanth’s reaction…or those pods could have been refilled with some vile stuff. Who knows? I don’t expect a show like The Book of Boba Fett to have someone turn to someone else and give us an on-screen explanation of the little details. That’s something that seems more in the purview of a Visual Dictionary (should one be produced for the show); all the show needs us to know is that there are water/liquid pods that can be found in the sand, that they appear to be found in quantities and locations that can be identified if you know what you’re looking for and harvested by hand, but contain a small enough volume that a pod is good for one or a small number of people for a short time and not adequate on their own to sustain a planetary population.

All fair. And yeah, I suppose we’ll probably see more of the Tuskens.

He hadn’t left them yet, right? We’ll probably at least see how he ended up with the gaffi stick and rifle, and perhaps he’ll return to ask their help? That seems unlikely, though. The Tuskens don’t strike me as the sort to get involved in “local politics” even if a friend of theirs is.

1 Like

Regarding the pods, I was thinking they were some sort of variation of a cactus. A realworld cactus can be a source of water. These small pods are the same, since they collect moisture from the ground. They can’t grow deep, since they rely on the moisture from Tatooine’s atmosphere, like a natural water vaporator. Perhaps the connection of the pods close to the surface to collect moisture gives a slight sign (discoloration in the sand?) so the Tusken child knew where to dig?

4 Likes

Well, looks like I’m a little late for the party. Dang vacation.

I’d give it a solid 3/5. The flashbacks were a little drawn out but I did like them. I would’ve liked it better if the entire episode was a flashback and I sure hope that bacta time doesn’t become 15-minutes-of-flashback time every episode. The fight scene was kinda pathetic as Boba appears to be so weak when in Mandalorian he is such a “Boba” wrecking those stormtroopers on Tython.

Fennec was a good character. I enjoyed how she kept comparing everything Boba was doing with how Jabba ruled.

I’m excited about this series, but not if all the episodes are like this. Then again, it was a pilot episode.

1 Like

This is just getting better. While it was disappointingly short on the crime lord business, yet:

• The Rancor-scare was fun.
  • The mayor could still be an interesting character
  • Seeing the twins was pretty cool.
  • Where this seems to be going is exciting

The exploration of the Tusken tribe was pretty amazing and made up for the shorter mafia-part by:

• Being awesome
  • A train job
  • Training montages
  • Great action all over
  • Was that Tosche Station? It was reminiscent of the deleted b&w scenes from ANH, but different enough to be somewhere else.
  • The chieftain talking about the different tribes, hinting at their history, and their spirituality.
  • Being pretty darned cool all over.
1 Like

Just caught up on Ep1.

Who is this show even for and why did we get another gruffboi bounty hunter Tatooine-dwelling armor-wearer streaming series before exploring any other type of STAR WARS story?

I think the answer to all of that is probably just “Jon Favreau”, which, okay, I can think of worse answers.

1 Like

I went back and compared Tosche Station in New Hope deleted scenes. I believe it is Tosche Station in episode 2. The inside has been change a little but the front door entrance, glass partition and game table are all the same. Even the human male and female are very similar to the people Luke meets there with Biggs.

The second point I want to make. I love the black haired Wookie bounty hunter/ body guard for the Twins. He looks very impressive and bad ass. I believe he is in some of the star wars comics, which I haven’t read. I look forward for Boba Fett meeting the Wookie again.

1 Like

This episode was much better than the last one, and I enjoyed the last one already.

The rancor-scare only makes sense to me under one condition: The mayor was telling the truth.
I can see why the assassin would be more concerned over the rancor than just getting his throat slit, but enough to make someone trained to resist torture (obviously, hence 8D8’s “he’ll never talk”) talk?
No, if he was going to talk, I don’t think he’d tell the truth.
If the mayor was telling the truth, then that’s good writing and I appreciate it.

The brain lizard. The moment I saw it, I knew straight where it was going: up his nose like a brain worm. Man was that trippy.

Also, the bacta seemed blue from outside the tank this time. I think it may simply be a matter of perspective. Previously, we weren’t seeing it through the glass and thus also in not as large a quantity. The more of a liquid you have, the more apparent its color. While bacta has elsewhere been portrayed as quite clearly a distinctive shade of blue, perhaps this is a “live action compromise” that I can get behind. Plus, getting something that distinctive a shade that is also see-through in real-life is probably pretty difficult.

I am a little concerned with, as @BrickSteelhead pointed out, the similarities to The Mandalorian, but mostly as regards the flashbacks sequences. The rest of the similarities, meh. It’s different enough, even while similar.

I’d have preferred it if they just started out with the “flashbacks” or else dedicated a couple episodes in the middle (maybe 2 and 3) to them instead of seemingly spreading them out. When it isn’t about a character “discovering himself (literally),” occasional flashbacks throughout a story don’t make much sense, with one exception: PTSD. In that situation, it does make sense, but would be handled differently than it is here.

Fennec Shand referenced “dreams” and we get the flashbacks when he’s in bacta, but the sequential nature of them doesn’t make much sense. They aren’t shown like they’re flashbacks he’s having, making the point rather moot. I think it would make more sense if they showed us the history upfront, and then, like they did, reference dreams in “real time.”
You can also have very short—more dream-like—sequences showing more specifically what exactly he’s “dreaming” about.

The whole “crime lord”-thing is really heating up, and I’m enjoying that. The cameo of Black Krrsantan was nice, and I hope to see more of him later on. His backstory and appearance is very cool, and I’m interested to see what they do with him.

1 Like

That’s awesome! That they look similar, perhaps they are the same people? That would be cool.

Aye, the Wookiee was tough and cool looking. He looks like the one from the comics, but he’s lacking the cybernetic stuff (I believe)scar(s), I believe… but it would be cool if it was him.

I stand corrected, it is Black Krrsantan (according to Wookiepedia).

1 Like

Besides Wookieepedia (they probably mentioned his name in the credits), I’m pretty sure. He was supposed to be super rare as a black-furred wookiee, so making another one who dresses similarly would be a very odd choice.

I don’t really remember anything about cybernetics since I never read much of the comics, but any scars are probably just more subtle in live-action.

Can we at least agree to call them “flashbactas”?

(Credit to the Star Wars Minute guys.)

1 Like

It was indeed Camie and Fixer at Tosche Station. As Star Wars Explained put it, that was fan service done right - if you know who/where they are: bonus! If not, it’s a place on Tatooine with regular people being bullied by the swoop gang, which is all you really need.

1 Like

I thought they looked familiar… For whatever reason. But I couldn’t place it.

1 Like

Understandable enough, since they had to be recast. Koo Stark and Anthony Forrest are over 40 years older these days. ;)

1 Like

The weapon Black Krrsantan is carrying looks like a modern version of a bowcaster. Also, it looks like he is carrying a bowcaster quarrels build into his armor.

I’m not sure you’re allowed to have a “modern version” of a bowcaster… but then again, he was never a stickler for Wookiee rules.

I just saw it as a big gun, but perhaps you’re right. Can you describe what you mean about the quarrels? I certainly didn’t notice, and I’m curious.

Looks similar to Chewbacca’s Quarrel Bandolier but he has 2 of them.

Oh, oh, yeah. I hadn’t realized that was what you were talking about. Right. I was picturing quarrels used as ornamentation or something.

1 Like

Good catch! I will have to go watch it a 3rd time I hadn’t noticed.

My theory has always been that Mandolorian spawned from the abrupt cancellation of the Boba Fett movie. Mando begins on a desert planet, Jawas have his Slave1ish ship, and he is doing bounties to replace his armor. Seemed like what Boba would have been doing after he drug himself out of the Sarlacc. I wish someone could confirm for me that, yes, they took the art and script from the Boba movie and converted it into the Mando series.

I confused Black Krssantan with a player character in a campaign I ran a few years back, Krankawarrok, aka Kranky. My bad :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Indeed, they’re in the credits. Black Krssantan isn’t though, no surprise I guess.