Book of Boba Fett [Spoilers]

It was pretty good, and sets up the ongoing story nicely.

The fight with the sand monster was cool, and it’s nice to see an expansion of the Tatooine ecosystem. It made me think of something out of the old KotOR or SWtOR games.

The art—encompassing set design, costumes, CGI, etc.—is really good, and similar in style and quality to The Mandalorian. With new technology and expertise, they’re expanding the worldbuilding through visual additions (such as larger and more chaotic cities) and it’s a wonderful development.

I also liked the “tribute” sequence, I think it was well done. The Trandoshan compliment/threat was great, and that majordomo looked very stilted and uncomfortable, which I imagine was by design.

It was not without its flaws, however:

• I guess bacta is translucent now? Screw it, bacta just comes in different colors.
  • Tusken Raiders: All of the women and children were dressed virtually identically to the men, and that’s a break from previously established lore. For all you Disney canon purists out there, no, I’m not talking about Legends unless they made the Prequel Trilogy Legends—which I’m pretty sure they didn’t—and there are canon sources that show the difference in dress. Whether whichever is better for worldbuilding is irrelevant. “All I Want for Christmas is Consistent Worldbuilding” may not be as catchy as “All I Want for Christmas is You,” but it’s true.
  • Water pods: An interesting concept, but uh… if they can just dig for them out in the middle of the desert, what exactly is Tatooine’s water problem? If there was some rare feature to visually distinguish likely sites from the surrounding desert (such as some plant that stores water in those pods down deep in the root system), it would make more sense. Perhaps it is linked to the creature? As in stored or produced somehow? But then how did they find where to dig? And why moisture vaporators? Are they just that much more efficient or something?
  • Ruling through respect: Yes, all well and good, but if you’re going to go from 0-100 in all of a day, you better have something to make them fall in line. He’s trying to hold together Jabba’s empire (at least locally), and that’s no easy feat, especially when they only know you by reputation and may not even know you’re who you say you are. Respect is usually gained over a long time, but he’s starting right at the top of a hierarchy composed of vicious criminals, so… But we’ll probably see him use force to make (at least some of) them fall in line soon.
    Also, he’s pulling an “everyman” shtick while surrounded by elitists. Not necessarily the best tack.

All in all, very good, very enjoyable, but with some of the worldbuilding inconsistencies that have plagued Disney’s canon. Yes, I know Legends had continuity errors like crazy, but it wasn’t advertised as being unified and carefully constructed, and the worldbuilding was generally more consistent, as I remember.

2 Likes

I really liked the Spot-cameo in, Mos Espa (I guess?)

That made me happy.

I really liked the flashbacks, the parkour, the sarlacc escape scene.

As for bacta being translucent, isn’t this pretty translucent? https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/images/bacta-tank-main-image_913e9351.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1560%2C878&width=960 The distortions here are from the glass quality right? And the above lighting?

I found the children, females and males, or warriors, to be dressed differently, but sure, they are more elaborate than what we’re used to from OT and PT, more than just brown robes, and have more detailed masks/helmets.

The water pods solves how Tusken raiders survive without the moisture tech. We saw them in the Mandalorian season two too. How they are found and how prevalent they are remains a question. And that creature, what was it? A kind of gundark? Awesome scene regardless. :slight_smile:

It’ll be interesting to see how Boba goes about this business of taking over a crime empire locally.

Really looking forward to the rest of the series!

1 Like

Oh, so that’s what it is. I noticed them and thought they were a little out of place, being so bright white in an otherwise drab scene.

Elsewhere, bacta is seen as blue, particularly in the expanded universe. Whether that started out as a mistaken impression of the bacta in Empire is a moot point.

I’m talking about compared to these pictures. It’s a radically different take:

2 Likes

Meh. Just because they’ve used blue colouring in comic books and computer games is ultimately irrelevant, it’s at best some kind of pragmatic expression of creative freedom because “translucent” is rather useless as a “colour”. So, not meshing with EU/Legends amounts to nothing more than a “meh” point … and about consistency and continuity, it aligns with the prime live-action sources.

Depending on preference of course, this could make all the difference.

Ah! I’d forgotten about those. Yes, that’s very different. Perhaps a different tribe? Or they stopped with that kind of dress after the Anakin murder spree? But yes, that’s a big leap. Still, there could be different tribes, with different clothing conventions, it’s not unheard of.

1 Like

If you only look at live-action sources, you may be right. But even in Disney’s Canon, it has appeared as blue in various sources. But if you ask someone what color bacta is, they’ll almost always say blue unless they’re weird like us (and they’ll say blue because they’ve seen it as blue because the people who watched Empire saw it as blue). Part of what should be considered as canon is what is generally considered to be canon, because “changing” something even if it’s never fully, explicitly stated both contradicts other media and switches things up on the fans. From my point of view, making those sorts of changes is either blatant oversight or shows a lack of respect for fans and earlier Star Wars media. Are such unexpected changes sometimes necessary or legitimate? Sure. But for something this minor, the change has significantly more negative effect than positive.

On the other hand, there could be a perfectly good explanation for it like “Pure bacta is translucent, but the more common bacta—which is loaded with additives—has a more blue tone, the overall color depending on how pure the bacta is,” or simply that there are different colors of bacta. Changes should have a good worldbuilding explanation, otherwise they just seem at best arbitrary, and at worst disrespectful.

In the context of Star Wars, that doesn’t make much sense. It partly goes back to the planet of hats trope, where every planet is really more the size of a single country (or American state) and a given culture is pretty homogenous, unless the point of it is that it is decidedly unhomogenous.

Really, there isn’t a good in-universe explanation for it unless the writers come up with something really creative. Not only does the change in dress affect the outward appearance, but it has wider ramifications for their entire culture.

That’s an argument to popularity.

I’m not sure I agree with your normative assumption about “generally considered”, unless it’s qualified by more than assumptions and/or pathos.

Also, it may be oversight, but the “lack of respect” as the other alternative is overly dramaticising, and rather entitled. And I’m not seeing any arguments for how it’s signicantly more negative, particularly considering its a very minor issue.

That’s a rather narrow way of looking at it. I think you’re taking that particular narrative tendency, its importance, and hegemony, too far. It makes perfect sense to me that there are different tribes of tuskens, and that they therefore may also dress differently and with variation.

But I’ll give you that, there isn’t an in-universe explanation before there is one. The current absence of one isn’t cause for worry though, it’ll come when and if relevant.

We know next to nothing about tusken raiders and their culture, because they’ve hardly been explored (with some notable legends exceptions) before now. Keeping to some old dark horse comics or Kotor can hardly be expected, nor desired.

But this. Do you expect exposition in a tv-show informing the viewer about the different varieties of bacta?
And how or why do you reach for “disrespect”?

1 Like

See below.

See below.

Okay then, what color do most people think bacta is? Before Book of Boba Fett, and probably even after. I’d bet you my right wing it’s blue, if there was any way of proving it either way. If you think I’m wrong, then what do you think the answer would be?

But for “generally considered” I’m taking virtually every source to ever picture bacta or describe its color. Not really even talking public opinion surveys.

Exactly. It’s a minor issue, so why change it? If they had not changed it, we would not be having this discussion, proving my point that it does more harm than good, for what good does it do?

As for respect and “appeal to popularity” they are linked. By and large, everyone thinks bacta is blue, describes it as blue, and writes it as blue. Changing that overturns all of that, for no good reason. It shows a lack of care or respect for what came before, as it arbitrarily throws it out the window and makes what was previous correct incorrect by overriding it with a canon show. Do I feel personally slighted that they changed the color of bacta? Will my reboot cycles be intermittently glitchy as a result? No, that would be ridiculous. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t disrespectful.
“Characterized by, having, or showing disrespect; lacking courtesy or esteem.”
My dichotomy comes into play thusly:
“Just make the bacta translucent, the color doesn’t matter” (arbitrary. “I just don’t care”)
“I know bacta is blue, but make it translucent anyway” (disrespectful. “I know and I don’t care”)

That’s fair enough, but the culture as a whole is likely very similar. Virtually all of the hallmarks of known Tusken behavior and culture are there, the only difference is dress, and dress is indicative of many things, particularly gender roles. But again, it’s a marked change from what we have previously seen, while affecting nothing but discussions over whether it’s just pointless, or pointless AND counterproductive (yes, I did mean affecting, not effecting).

And none of this refers at all to old Dark Horse comics or KotOR, none of which I even like (not that they’re bad, per se, just that I do not enjoy them). I’m strictly referring to the ACTUAL MOVIE and various bits of Disney canon.

I’ll answer that and the similar Tusken point together:
No.
If it’s a meaningful change, make it meaningful. If it isn’t, why change?
But it isn’t hard to slip in a covert explanation without actually directly explaining.
For example, and offhand reference to it being “the highest-grade bacta” or whatever, or showing some major differences in the behavior of the Tusken tribe to point to some break with traditional Tusken society. Subtlety and nuance is a wonderful way to explain things without “explaining” them.

When there is an unexplained, meaningless change, you’ll have some people shrug their shoulders, some people confused, some people thinking you’re incompetent, and some people irritated. None of those are desirable.

Now, anticipating your response:

You’re the one arguing about this! It’s not their fault you got your knickers in a twist.

Ahem, I don’t wear knickers, thank you very much. As for the metaphor, I didn’t.
Here’s the order of events:
Disney: Makes meaningless change
Me: Points out meaningless change, questions necessity and wisdom off-handedly
You: Argues with me

I loved that they are including “what happened after the Sarlaac”. I like that it was done in flashbacks, thus we are getting some story going forward AND the backstory.

The pods bugged me too at first. I immediately was solving it in my head by saying the Tusken kid could see things we couldn’t and knew the spot to dig. The creature below also was attracted to this spot due to the water pods. This actually makes some sense solving the issue of how the Tusken and various beasts survive without us ever seeing a pond or stream on Tatooine.

Did I miss something with the lack of blasters? Did I miss blasters being outlawed in Mos Espa? During their first walkabout, one of the best bounty hunters and assassins in the Galaxy walks through a hive of scum and villainy without a blaster? I understand the reason behind it - melee vs blaster fight. But I’m hoping I missed a reason for the lack of blaster weapons. I did note the stills at the end showed a shield wall around the two when they were ambushed. In this still they had their blaster weapons. I’m guessing the wall was to negate the blasters so we could have a melee, but it didn’t play out well so they just removed their blasters completely?

3 Likes

Interesting point, I hadn’t noticed. I also noticed that the assassins used “non-lethal” weapons (seemingly a very stupid decision), so maybe the mayor’s enforcers are the only ones allowed to carry lethal weapons in the city?

He seems to be (or at least think himself) a major player, so I wouldn’t put it past him to ban weapons in his city (and perhaps he didn’t greet Boba personally partly so he could stay where it’s “safe” in his city).

I would just explain it as variations in tribes. The Prequel Tusken may have been of the large tribe we typically have seen with distinct dress for women and children. Those we just saw on BoB :rofl: were possibly of a different tribe with more equality between the sexes. I wouldn’t be surprised if the friendly kid turned out to be a girl. It would then explain the need to dress all the Tusken alike perhaps?

2 Likes

My big question about Boba Fett and the bacta tank is why does he need it so often? Is he suffering constant pain from Sarlacc digestive juices or being tortured by the Sand people? Maybe a combination of both. I wonder if he will be like Darth Vader and always suffering constant pain.

1 Like

This is an irrelevancy, it is a meaningless point to me. What “most people think”, and by extension arguments to popularity, is a logical fallacy.

Why not change it? There’s no reason not to. Change and development are generally good, stagnation and conservatism are generally boring, and thus bad in a storytelling context. (No, change and development are not the same as throwing consistency and continuity out the window, that’s an oversimplification).

Discussions do no harm :wink: and are hardly directly caused by this change, but merely indirectly. That we are nitpicky and opinionated pedants isn’t anyone’s fault but our own :sweat_smile:

Again, logical fallacy. Also, assuming there is no good reason just because it has not been spelled out.

Interesting dichotomy, but it looks like a false binary in my opinion. I think the change is coloured by neither. If anything I think it is deliberate, as a callback to the primary source, the first film we saw Boba in historically (ignoring Holiday special and special editions), and as with other things in these shows, showing us that things are not as uniform and one-dimensional as we may previously have thought.

That’s an interesting assumption.

These are not the same. Unexplained doesn’t mean meaningless.

I find meaning in the changes, despite - perhaps even because of - the lack of explanation. It shows a diversity that the previous, more “colonial” if you will, presentations from perspectives of outsiders, of those with little or no knowledge and experience beyond fear and ignorance (the Lars family, Anakin and Luke), lacked. Whereas Din Djarin obviously knew more, even how to communicate with them, and Boba is learning about them too. They have some kind of honour system, they are not just beasts that walk like men.

As for the bacta, yeah, perhaps not that meaningful, but I dispute your claim that it is a change that warrants accusations of disrespect or the like. It isn’t a change, it just shows that the visual representation varies between media and sources. Which could be meaningful, if diversity and heterogeneity can be considered to be meaningful and helpful in describing cultures and a storyverse that are not uniform.

Also, they cannot avoid fans discussing and reacting to non-change and minor aesthetic changes.

Fixed that for you :sweat_smile:

Isn’t that why forums like these exist? Do discuss and argue our perspectives?

2 Likes

Same sentiment I have.

That’s an interesting question. I think it’s mostly a storytelling device this season, but I may be wrong. Could be lasting damage from sarlacc, being a clone, age, and tusken torture…

Way to ignore the substance of all of my arguments, completely miss my points, and then screw up the timeline of how it all transpired. I think I’ve been pretty clear and made my point clear to the others. If you don’t get it or are willfully side-stepping in order to “win,” that’s on you. I’m done, with a final shot:

No, NOT logical fallacies. Whether it is broadly accepted or not is THE POINT.

Appeals to popularity are logical fallacies by definition, but putting that aside, I understand this is the point for you, but it is not for me. Obviously.

To me, whether it is broadly accepted or not is largely irrelevant, or only of tertiary importance. I have seen no substantial arguments that really changes that, the appeals to popularity and relatedly the risks of fan pathos not withstanding. I appreciate that this is important to you, but it is not and cannot be important to me. Star Wars and its universe are too dear to me.

This isn’t about winning, so I’ll leave you be.

Apologies.

3 Likes

I noticed the Bacta color but felt very minor to me. I wonder why the change, not overly put out by it though.

Loved the Tusken dress, this is confirmation that it varies from tribe to tribe. Reading the Kenobi book was also a good look into Tuskens. There was one Tribe War-chief who was a female called Plug-eye. She wore similar robes to that of a man.

Overall I foubd the episode OK. But certainly not of Mandalorian quality

3 Likes

I forgot that. Has been a while. But I agree, more depth and insights into tusken raiders are nice. I always found them intriguing.

Yeah, not entirely the same level of intro, but pretty cool in-sarlacc scene. Nice to have it canonised.

Honestly? I don’t think many people put terribly much thought or concern into the question of, “What color is bacta?” Different forms of media have different visual shorthands. In, for example, comics and video games, clear liquids - particularly water - are often colored blue because, on white paper or on screens, attempting to show a clear liquid ends up with the “clear” being white, so it looks like milk, or if in a container with the background drawn through (like a bacta tank) looks like air. And we’ve all looked at stunning beach photos and remarked about the “beautiful blue water” which is, of course, really clear. (Aquaman even once had an “underwater camouflage” costume of blues and white which, under clear water, would still be just as visible as his traditional orange and green. The costume only “worked” in context of comics coloring conventions.)

By that same token, though, if you ask people, “What color are ion blasts?” you’ll also get an answer of “blue,” thanks to video games using the color to distinguish them from starship blaster fire at a glance, taking inspiration from the blue electrical arcing shown on objects hit by them, be it a droid like Artoo or a Star Destroyer.

The first bacta we ever saw was translucent, with a bit of a blue, white, or completely clear look depending on the lighting. Later, the tank is seen in the background with a red color. (Drained? hard to tell.) Vader’s tank in Rogue One appeared cloudy, which I always presumed was a result of that batch’s prolonged use…skin, toxins, and other debris from the body fouling the liquid. Finn’s bacta suit was leaking clear liquid.

Seems to me an odd thing to get hung up on, but then I’m the one who just wrote three paragraphs about how it’s an odd thing to get hung up on, and a matter of different media conventions rather than inconsistency. :upside_down_face:

The Tusken thing just seems to be a simple matter that we’re seeing a different group within the larger culture. Not the first time we’ve seen it in Star Wars, and hopefully not the last.

Now, this is definitely me reading into things, but I drew a direct connection between the water pods and the “sand Goro,” like they’re maybe basically the thing’s eggs, which is why the pods were right around it.

4 Likes

That’s a reasonable breakdown. I actually never made the connection between Vader’s tank and bacta until shortly before you mentioned it, because the contents were transluscent/white.
I just assumed it was his “stasis juice” or whatever since in Star Wars, those tanks don’t have to be bacta (I’m reminded of cloning vats in TRoS and Clone Wars).

I also remembered bacta as blue in the Clone Wars (but I couldn’t remember a particular episode so I didn’t want to mention it), but after checking (it was Destroy Malevolence), I realized that we were seeing the tanks through a blue-tinted window, leaving us none the better off.

I’m still of the opinion that bacta is/should be blue, but I was never really “hung up” on it. I noticed it as odd, and then it all got blown out of proportion.

It looked to me like an oversight, but maybe you’re right. I just don’t like seeing things that appear to be different for no reason. Similar concept to “meaningful choice,” an important concept in RPGs. Generally, if you tweak something about a particular culture, it’ll effect other things down the line or have been effected by something else in the first place. To seemingly be a standalone cosmetic choice strikes me as… odd.

I agree, sort of. They all seemed surprised by it, and if the youngling knew that the two were linked, I don’t think he’d have been so shocked (or so willing to just go for it). However, I think it’s likely that the “Sand Goro” was there because of the water pods. After all, it needs water too.

I’m just still very curious what they are, what they come from, and how they’re found. From all we know, they seem to just lie out in the middle of the desert randomly.
When we saw them in The Mandalorian, I thought they were just Tusken-devised drinking vessels, filled with some kind of brew (given the distasteful reaction by Cobb Vanth). Unless, perhaps those were and these are different.

Another option is that the water was stored for safekeeping by the Tuskens and they all went to retrieve it, but that’s probably the least likely since they can’t be guaranteed that it won’t be “stolen” by some animal (see: “Sand Goro”).