Essential Kill Clarifications

Hello there,

I have some unclarities regarding the Essential Kill Talent from the Seeker Tree.

1. Do I read the following correctly?
    May spend 1 Forcepoint to add 1 Advantage. → Meaning this can be done multiple times, yes?

2. Is spending Forcepoints for Advantages and spending Forcepoints for a Triumph mutually exclusive?
    It reads that way but seems weird to me.

I’d be grateful for any insights
Kind regards

1 Force point for 1 Advantage, and as per usual with these talents you can spend it multiple times.
Spending Force points for Advantage and Force points for Triumph is mutually exclusive. The way to think about it is that a Triumph is a cut above 3 or even 4 Advantage, even more in some situations. This keep things balanced. But if you roll more than 3 pips and you don’t need a Triumph, specifically, then you can just get a whole bunch of Advantage.

Okay good to hear I interpreted it correctly then,
thanks alot for confirming that for me =)

I built a whole character based on the force pips for success or advantage (and sometimes triumph) mechanic. By less than 500 xp, the build has some 20 skills that benefit from force dice in this way (including those from Essential Kill). It is a fun build, and I am a fan of that force pip mechanic. That mechanic can make playing a generalist a lot more functional.

2 Likes

Sounds cool, our next campaign will probably be a FaD-campaign and I’m looking at doing something similar. So I wanted to ask which career, specializations and Force Power Trees did you focus on? :)

1 Like

For a Knight level game, you want to start with the Jedi Padawan, and you CAN use “Short Path to Power” and 40 xp to get an FR of 3, but more on that in a bit, you at least want the FR of 2. You want to start by getting all the Enhance skill lines (the left side of the power); the Farsight power to the Perception skill boost (middle right of the power track); the Influence power to its skill boost (middle left of the power track); and the Manipulate power to its first skill boost (the far left side of the track).

As for characteristics, if you aim for the FR of 3, just try to spread your characteristics around as evenly as possible, remember, this build is a generalist. If you can find ways to reduce cost (custom building, having a Cyberneticist in the group, etc.) acquire a cybernetic arm that boosts Agility, and a cybernetic leg that boosts Brawn. If you are happy with an FR of 2, use the 120 xp to get your initial characteristics to: Br 2, Ag 2, In 3, Cu 3, Wp 3, Pr 3; with the cybernetics this gives you all 3s for your characteristics. If you want the FR 3, I suggest setting Cunning to 2 and boosting it with your first Dedication (as a Padawan).

It is important to note, this build does not invest in skill ranks (until after all the skill powers are obtained), instead it keeps skills relevant by boosting them with the force. Thus, after the initial build, you grab the Executioner specialty and you make a b-line for Essential Kill, the FR bump, and another Dedication. During this time, grab Foresee to its Initiative boost (first control upgrade), and, if you can get your GM to allow it, try to grab Jenserra’s Influence up to the Fear check control boost (middle right track) and Warde’s Foresight until at least the first control upgrade.

That is the core of the build. After this, I might take Navigator, for a quick path to another FR boost, then stay to grab Intuitive Navigation and One With The Universe. If you still need more places to go after that, use Force Sensitive Exile to gain another (relatively) quick FR boost (as you get to skip Secrets of the Force (at least as I understand it).

And that is about it… I don’t have many useful builds, but this one is a LOT of fun! Again, try to avoid the temptation to spend lots on skills. Find skills you really need to be able to achieve Triumph on (like leadership), and make sure you have at least 1 skill rank in those skills. This build was originally an experiment in NOT spending skill points (which I failed since I still focused on skills :smirk:), so that is worth keeping in mind for the sake of perspective.

I have a whole build on RPG Sessions if you want, I’ll post a link.

1 Like

Can I see the character?

1 Like

me too, please. Sounds very interesting.

1 Like

Give me an XP value and I will post a version post haste!

Um, let’s say 300. Decently progressed.

Last question, 300 above beginning? So, 50 above Knight level play?

Yeah. My bad for not clarifying.

I will post a build that includes what it takes to get to Essential Kill, since that keeps things in line with the OP. It will be a tad more than 300 xp though.

Ok, here is the skeletal build. I am going to be filling in all the missing details over the next few hours/day— However, this at least outlines the core idea. Be sure to read the notes, as they include information on how to start with the build at Heroic/Knight level play, as well as ideas on further advancement.

https://app.rpgsessions.com/char/ffg-sw/player/6223c20b8c1d0d0011d43070

How much detail would you guys like? This sort of build benefits from a great deal of ‘granularity’ and character optimization throughout even its equipment. This build is actually a character of mine (my primary PC, and the central theme I would take to most other game tables), so I invested time in finding gear that benefits the build.

Anyway, it is kind of a whacky build, you have been warned— :smirk:

Thoughts?

(I’ll post again when everything is filled out, I just wanted to provide the basics as quickly as possibly)

2 Likes

I like it, are there any skills you feel are missing? That you cannot get from Force Powers or talents?

1 Like

You know, you could complain about a few here and there, but with some 20 boosted skills, a lot of which are vital, it is hard to complain. Mind you, this build does not get all of them that I even know of. If I was to choose one though, maybe Computers—

I just finished filling in the text of the powers and talents the character actually buys. So people can get a better feel from the RPGSessions page now. Still adding more data.

Will add more equipment soon, which is HUGE to the build.

I started a new post in ‘General Discussion’, check out more there. I do not want to hijack a thread, so…