Frequently asked questions about EotE

Repost of the original thread by player266669 on the FFG Forums

Welcome to the Outer Rim!

Below are some frequently-asked questions about the Star Wars Edge of the Empire roleplaying game. If you are new to the game and you’ve come here to ask a question, please read the below post first, as you might find the answer you’re looking for.

Will there be a PDF version of Edge of the Empire?

An official representative from Fantasy Flight Games has stated that there is no plan at this time to produce a PDF version of the game.

Can I play a Jedi in Edge of the Empire?

The short answer is no. While the game does include the ability to play a Force-sensitive character with somewhat limited Force powers, the option to play a full-fledged Jedi is not available in this product. This is due mainly to the game being set at a point in the timeline when the Jedi order has been eradicated by the machinations of Darth Sidious. This subject might well be revisited in the forthcoming Force and Destiny, which is planned for release in 2015.

Where can I download the character sheet?

The game’s official support page has many useful items including a downloadable PDF character shet. You can find the support page here:

Where can I download the game’s specialization talent trees so my players can more easily track which talents they have purchased?

At present, you can’t. Fantasy Flight has not published these in a downloadable format, although the pages in the book that contain these talent trees do state that you are free to photocopy them for personal use. It is possible that fan-made versions will become available at a future time. See this thread for some options that have alreayd surfaced:

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/85937-printable-talent-trees/

Are there any useful player-made resources available for Edge of the Empire?

Yes, quite a few. Follow the below link to see a thread on this very subject.

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/85616-compiled-resources-list/

Questions about planned future products

Many players have asked whether Fantasy Flight has plans to do a certain future product such as a sourcebook for a different era or a book that includes stat blocks for the characters featured in the Star Wars movies. It is the policy of FFG not to comment on future planned releases to any degree. Any such information will be publicly announced at the game’s official website, which you can find at the link below.

Is there somewhere I can buy or download that nice galaxy map on pages 328 & 329 of the EotE Core Rulebook?

Unfortunately, no. Rest assured, a lot of people would love to get a copy of that.

What weapons are compatible with the weighted head melee weapon attachment to?

There are no melee weapons in the Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook to which a weighted head can be attached, because none of them have sufficient hard points to support one. However, it is possible that melee weapons introduced in future products will be able to make use of a weighted head. (Note, although the Tinkerer talent can add hard points to a weapon, additional ranks only allow the tinkerer to add 1 extra hard point to additional weapons, it does not allow a tinkerer to add more than 1 hard point to a single weapon.)

Is there an official FAQ/Errata document for the game?

Yes, and you can find it on the game’s Support page at the following link:

How do attachments and modifications work, exactly?

This is covered in the rules pretty thoroughly, and I’m not sure I can explain it any better than they do, but the question keeps coming up so I’ll give it a shot.

An attachment is a thing you stick on a weapon, like a stock, a score or a barrel. Each attachment eats up a number of hard points, and every weapon in the game lists how many free hard points it has that you can spend to add attachments. Adding an attachment is simple and automatic, you don’t need any skill rolls or money to do it other than the cost of just buying the attachment itself.

Where it gets interesting is, most attachment can be altered and made better before they’re attached to the weapon. A barrel that shortens a weapon’s range but makes it do more damage can actually be upgraded even further before you stick it on your gun. We can call this process “modding”. Modding means “making an existing attachment even better.” Each attachment has, in its description, a list of different mods you can make to it. Some mods have a number, like “2 damage +1 mods”. That means you can make a mod that adds +1 damage, and then as a second mod, you can do the same thing again, though it does count as an entirely separate mod with the increased cost in money and difficulty that entails (see below).

To mod an attachment, a character first names which mod on the attachment’s list of available mods he’s going to make. He pays 100 credits, then spends some time working on the attachment, assumedly tinkering with it at a workbench of whatever the GM think sis necessary. When the work is complete, the character makes a Hard Mechanics skill roll. If that roll succeeds, the attachment has been successfully modded and it gets the bonus listed for that mod in the attachment’s description.

You can do this multiple times, but it gets both more difficult and more expensive. Each additional mod you make to an attachment costs the amount of the previous mod + 100 credits. So, the first mod costs 100 to install, but the second one costs 200, the third one costs 300, and so on. The difficulty of the mechanics check increases by one step for each mod beyond the first that you install in an attachment. The first mod requires a Hard (3 difficulty dice) Mechanics skill check to install, but the second mod required a Daunting (4 difficulty dice) Mechanics skill check to install, and it just keep going up from there.

If you fail the Mechanics skill roll, you still lose the money and time, and the mod does not get installed. If you generate a despair symbol, you actually break the attachment entirely, rendering it useless.

In my own personal opinion - and this part is not in the rules, it’s just my thoughts - you could also leverage threat to say the weapons works in a less-than-optimal way for a short time, maybe suffering a single setback die during the next encounter or just the next attack made with it. You could possibly say that advantage means the installing took less time than expected, and a triumph might mean the next mod will be cheaper to install, maybe discounting 25% of the expected cost. Do whatever feels good to you and your GM will approve - use those narrative symbols! They are the strength of the game.

Feel free to suggest new items for this list. I would like to keep it short, because I think that will make it more useful, so please do not be offended if I don’t include every suggestion in the first post.

3 Likes

Need to update all the links from community.fantasyflightgames.com

This has later been clarified by devs to be a fixed cost. And slightly reworded (but still not clearly) on AoR Core.

Quote from Sam Stewart

Every mod you install costs 100 credits to do so. I agree that it could be worded slightly clearer, and apologize for the confusion.

https://ffg-forum-archive.entropicdreams.com/topic/108101-ffg-developer-answered-questions/?do=findComment&comment=1689855

1 Like

In on page 199. “Each additional mod installed on an attachment beyond the first increases the difficulty of Mechanics check by one and costs an additional 100 credits.”

Where was this updated. Just wondering. Thank you.

As noted above, in AoR Core book.

I’m not sure what you mean by “updated” but the wording in the books has stayed the same; its meaning was simply clarified by one of the devs in a dev-answered question.

I understand now. I miss understood the above post. AoR is straight forward. Thanks.