Improved Parry

I got a question regarding the Improved Parry Talent.
It states that if the attacker generates a despair or three threats, the parrying character is allowed to make an automatic hit with his equipped melee/Brawl/lightsaber weapon dealing weapon base damage, plus possible additional damage due to matching talents.
I am struggling what the base damage is.

Let´s say the defending character is fighting with a standard vibrosword +2, has brawn 4 and 2 ranks in feral strength.
What would the damage dealing with Improved Parry be?
+2 sword +2 feral strength = 4? Or would the brawn be included, making it damage 8?

Or is the counting totally different?

As always, thanks for your help.

I would say base damage is Brawn plus the weapon damage, and because the Feral Strength talent says it adds damage on successful melee and brawl checks I as a GM wouldn’t add that into account.

2 Likes

Ok, so what would be applicable talents or abilities you could use to increase the damage of the Improved Parry?

I read through the FaD talents, and I did not see any that don’t require a combat check to add damage. Maybe the wording on Improved Parry was leaving them design room for later expansions and specs.

I doubt that this was the intention.
As far as I can see all Talents dealing additional damage have similar wording, just because you simply need a successful combat check to deal damage under normal cirumstances in the first place. Except Improved Parry is the exception cause it´s an automatic hit. So you coud argue the check was already done and successful and thus resulting in adding the talent.

Then you would just apply any and all damage talents if you rule it that way.

1 Like

That is the question, right?
Per your definition I can add none of them which contradicts the wording of the Improved Parry Talent description.
Per my definition I could add almost all of them which are not may in the first place, though.

“…Add… to one hit of a successful attack…” is the usual wording. In the case of Powerful Blast, I believe it just says “increase the damage dealt by weapons with the Blast quality,” as a counter example.

But base means before modifiers, so Brawn+Damage for your base damage. Modifiers include, but are not limited to, talents and net Success.

I get what you are saying and I agree and understand the definition of Base damage.
What I do not get is the "plus possible additional damage due to matching talents and abilities.
Perhaps my translation is wrong because FND I got only in German and I translated backwards.

From what I can see (and I don’t have all the core rulebooks so this is just my FaD knowledge), upgrading your brawn via Dedication or upgrading your weapon. I would be wrong though.

That clause is not in the English FaD CRB, as far as I know. That’s a totally foreign concept to me, but there is a chance I just overlooked it (I’m away from the books at the moment).

However, if you plan to rule it that way, I would include stuff like Deadly Accuracy, Feral Strength, etc. and would allow “flip DP to deal X damage” talents as well, treating it for all intents and purposes like a hit from a successful attack.

Oh wait, forget what I said. After re-reading the talent description in the FaD CRB, it says: (on page 149)
“This hit deals the weapons base damage plus any modifiers from talents or abilities”

So, for this example, feral strength would trigger as well as any other abilities the character may have.

1 Like

Huh. I’ll have to check my books when I get home and see if maybe they changed it.

Perhaps I skimmed the talent description too lightly after seeing the short description on a talent tree. (Always read the full text!!)

Yep, confirmed on my end, it was something I overlooked.

Only question now is what qualifies as an applicable talent, considering most of them say “successful attack.”

1 Like

Yes, Back to base one :slight_smile:

I suggest that you send your question to FFG rule answer team. I have used it a few times in the last month or so. It may take a week to get an answer.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/contact/rules/

1 Like

Like I said earlier, I’d be inclined to say talents like Deadly Accuracy, Feral Strength, etc.

It seems that the Improved Parry talent is allowing an auto-success attack, so all that have “successful attack” would work

Although, just to clarify, it doesn’t add any damage from hypothetical success.

My question to the FFG Rule answer team:

Hello there, I got a question regarding the Improved Parry Talent. It states that if the attacker generates a despair or three threats, the parrying character is allowed to make an automatic hit with his equipped melee/Brawl/lightsaber weapon dealing weapon base damage, plus possible additional damage due to matching talents. Only question now is what qualifies as an applicable talent, considering most of them say “successful attack.” And in this case there is no combat check nescessary. Can you advise? Thanks and Best Regards Holger

Answer by FFG rules team:

Hi Holger,
I think you can couple this skill with the talent “easy prey” for example, it allows you to add an extra damage.
Best

Either my question was not clear or… I don´t know.
The answer seems to be not much help because I can´t even check cause I do not find a talent “easy prey” to compare.