Mandalorian Season 3

I thought perhaps they had completed the graphics of the ship, but later when showing the attack on the town, they wanted larger explosions instead of just blaster hits with smaller explosions. I think they would have been fine with the later or simply put rocket racks on the bubbles.

Overall, but not all of it. I think I’m just comparing to the dark Coruscant episode. If you compare this episode to it, the tone is completely different. That’s not bad at all, just that the Coruscant episode seems it was written by an Andor writer, with the latest Mando episode more like, Mando I guess. Going from dark to this made it more noticeable I guess, but probably back on track tone-wise for Mando. I hope I’m making sense.

Yeah, I see what you’re saying. However, I think that’s pretty much always been The Way of The Mandalorian. ;)

It has lots of serious stuff, and then lighter things mixed in. Neither episode seems—to me, at least—to be outside the mainstream of The Mandalorian tone-wise. The Coruscant episode’s main difference was in being less action-focused, which was necessary because of its subject matter.

My personal thoughts as a sentient A-Wing/Lothcat/X-Wing/whatever

• Yes that was Zeb, they did him VERY well
  • Timewise it makes sense because to see Zeb not at all during Rouge One, he was at Lothal at the time, to see him basically 10 or so years later makes sense time wise in the star wars galaxy
  • The Pirate theme felt a little weird, the pirate captain felt kinda like Davy Jones from POTC series, {nothing against them btw} grass covered alient pirate king so to speak, that’s an interesting take on Davy Jones type lore
  • Paz is right, they do what they do because they’re Mandalorians, its their Way
  • The Armorer asking Bo to remove her helmet was actually unexpected; when the Amorer told Paz that she walks both paths, Paz still accepted her as a Mandalorian, its as if the Armorer still has a strong say/level of respect in their covert
    *And best of all, the Mandalorians were all welcomed back to Nevarro with open arms and clear friendship

All in all, this Lothcat is happy

1 Like

I forgot to mention the Lasat! That was so cool.

I don’t know that it was actually Zeb (though it certainly sounded like him), but it was cool either way. The reason I’m disinclined to say that it was Zeb is because he’d be 20 years older and was never a pilot to begin with.

Yep, it was Steve Blum credited as Zeb providing the voice.

I was glad heavy jump in and said they should help, since I was yelling at the screen the whole time “Because YOU ARE MANDALORIANS!!!” and then he finally said it too. I was basically the Leo DiCaprio meme (where he is pointing at the screen).

I am getting vibes from Bo that she’s basically going to steal Mando’s show like assassin lady (I can’t remember any of the new names) stole the show from Boba Fett. The Force is Female after all (according to current Disney leadership).

The Zeb cameo was pretty cool, but not sure why they chose CGI instead of making a suit, was it because of the legs?

1 Like

Me too! XD

I wouldn’t say Fennec Shand stole BoBF, that seemed like a fan reaction to me more than anything else. I thought that show was rather poorly handled on the whole, except for the Mando Season 2.5 episodes, which are what I thought “stole the show” (because they were actually quite good).

As for Bo-Katan, I have noticed that Mando is starting to play almost a background role in his own show, but there isn’t a ton for him to do right now character-wise, whereas Bo-Katan’s arc is really falling into place. I think it’s just a temporary side-step, and because the character is so compelling you might be reading more into it than is wholly justified.

I think it’s just a different character focus right now, not any kind of agenda per se and not really at any character’s expense. But if it is what you say, at least it’s very well done. Most times when they try to force in an agenda, it turns out like the name I can’t say without starting a bunch of arguments (again). :D

If I had to guess, I’d say we’re about to step back hard into Mando’s character arc now that Bo’s immediate arc has been resolved.

Legs, head, eyebrows, mouth, ears, etc. Like Ahsoka, he isn’t a character that translates well to live-action because he so utilized the tools provided by animation. In Rebels, he’s extremely expressive, and because of the head shape you can’t really transfer that onto a human actor.

Evil prevails because good is dumb.

Biggest flaw in an otherwise excellent episode, in my opinion.

Some variant of flak cannons? Obviously the pirates took a look at the rules and realized how effective planetary scale Blast weapons are in ground combat. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

One of the things I love about this show is how it recaptures the feel of playing Star Wars in my buddy Robert’s garage in my 20s. Some episodes advance a the plot (clearly this season’s real plot is the reforging Mandalore as a nation), others are fun stand alone muppety weirdness. A police procedural with Droid Bars and a disgruntled Separatist partisan may not have advanced the plot much but it was a fun meander like a lot of Mandalorian episodes. It also confirmed my Din was beaten by the weird cyborg - Bo Katan beat the weird cyborg - thus Bo Katan owns the master wand um er Darksaber theory.

1 Like

8/8 on the fifty-cal scale, with a full loadout of suspended armament for good measure.

That was a masterpiece.

I have literally just two issues, and one might be my fault: “Taking control of the ship” is a can of worms they shouldn’t have touched with a ten-foot pole (use tractor beams instead), and what did the security guy hope to gain by causing the malfunctions? I may just have missed that.

The whole episode, start to finish, was wonderful. I enjoyed the “muppety weirdness,” and the police procedural was extremely fun. I’ve long said that Star Wars can make a show in any genre, and it was fun to see the police procedural (matchbooks, crime scene tape, morgue, etc.) here to prove my point.

Something I certainly did not expect and was quite impressed by was Lizzo. As much as I disapprove of much of her public performance and music and what-not, the gal can act and she’s got a great voice.

Oh, small issue: They misspelled “duchess” “dutchess” in the subtitles. Yes, she is a female inhabitant of the Netherlands, I guess. XD

The foreshadowing with the darksaber when he cuts open the droid was perfection, and the tie-back to the previous episode was masterful. The fight at the end was well-choreographed and felt hard-hitting, and Din’s negotiation skills were quite fun. I quite enjoyed the interaction with the Ugnaughts, and that brings me to my next point:

This show does diversity extremely well. I loved seeing all the different aliens and droids going right back to the first scene of the episode. Rather than just plastering an alien face on screen, they tied it in with the whole scenery and made the “culture” all relevant to the alien species (fishtank, “wine glass,” sliding into the floor, etc.). Same with their choices of droid for different roles in the show (e.g., interrogator droid in the morgue), and just the great variety of alien species in the various scenes (Ishi Tiib, fish lady, Mon Cal, a whole bunch of aliens). On of my major criticisms of Kenobi and Andor was the lack of this diversity, and The Mandalorian really knocks it out of the park.

The slight edge of satire in The Mandalorian is also a great deal of fun. This episode really held that edge during the time on the planet, so while I can question all day and night the feasibility of the economic system, it all works. It’s another can of worms issue, but with the dramatic surplus of droid labor, I can give it a pass at least a little bit, plus you can always say that the hoity-toities are just overlooking the laborers such as Ugnaughts who really make the city run because they don’t interact with them on a regular basis. The “nobody works” line is obviously not true.

1 Like

The main story:

• It was an RPG adventure!!
  • Goofy, kiddy, could have been a children’s cartoon episode?
  • So many cameos!
  • Not necessary for the big story, but still fun.
  • The ending artwork showed some sort of very tall furry alien with stilt legs, that was either cut or I missed it? It looked cool, wondering what it was. New creation?

The ending:

• What we all saw coming, but good anyway.
  • Would have preferred a challenge with Bo riding a mythosaur, but this still worked with the added plus of a “twist”.
  • I didn’t watch much of the Clone Wars, is the merc mando leader a character we’ve seen before?
  • I almost called it! Well, at least was thinking about it. :laughing:
1 Like

Axe Woves was one of Bo’s Mando friends in season two. Koska Reeves was the other one and she showed up in the background some.

I meant pre-Mando. Was Axe Woves first seen somewhere else?

He was original to Mando season 2 (unless retconned as present for some specific event). Clone Wars timeframe would’ve made him a teenager at best, if his age is about Din’s.

So if you read above in this thread i totally called that dark saber rightfully belonged to bo katan there was a several post interchange where i argued she should have kept it instead of letting din have it back after she rescued him

And if she had, it wouldn’t have been as readily accepted. “Can” and “should” are two different things.

If you read my response the first time, I make it clear how both can be true.

The point remains, whether she “could have” or not, she chose not to, and in the long run that turned out for the best.

Oh, I just remembered something else that was very well done. The opening scene with the Mon Cal ship was framed to emphasize the size of the freighter, and then the Arquitens looms on screen in a very New Hope-esque way.

I appreciate that in no small part because framing a “small” Arquitens as being so large emphasizes the smaller scale of The Mandalorian and the great significance of so-called “small” units, thus giving underserved ships like the Arquitens the respect they deserve as being massive ships by any measure (it’s the size of a Gerald R. Ford-class carrier, for reference).

2 Likes

The only complaint I had was Jack Black. He always pulls me out of every scene I see him in. I just don’t care for his work, and he’s quite often a deal-breaker for me.

Other than that…fun, and yeah…they did the thing that so many were speculating about. And…Bo accepted it without the want/need for an audience like I’d suspected were her motivations.

But I still think the Armorer is up to something shady.

1 Like

The next episode. I saw it last night here on Celebration Europe.

I’m curious about and looking forward to your reactions.

Suffice to say, I loved this one too. :disguised_face::sweat_smile: Which I guess, by now, doesn’t say much except that it felt like Star Wars to me.

1 Like

Jealous!

I won’t even get to see it til late Wednesday. After work, I’ve got a pre-con event for a small local gaming convention Wednesday night.