Mandalorian Season 3

Spoiler tag will be added tomorrow, but for now this is just pre-release speculation/discussion.

What are your thoughts on Mando 3? I’m simultaneously excited and apprehensive, because as you well know I am a staunch Mando nerd (and if you don’t believe me and want proof, I wrote a 25,000-word article book on Mandalorian armor). Thus, I am quite invested in their culture and history, and strongly desire that it be portrayed well, and that certain characters (*cough* Bo-Katan *cough*) be used well.

Specific things I’m looking for:
How do they treat the various Mandalorian factions? Death Watch, True Mandalorians, etc.
How do they treat Mandalorian politics, specifically inter-clan politics?
How do they treat the darksaber? Is it seen the same by everyone? Is it treated spiritually, or pragmatically? How did it come to be treated that way (outside House Vizsla)?
How do they treat Bo-Katan? I plan to write a character study on her soon, as her evolution is quite fascinating and she is very complex. The people who cast her as a cartoon villain (which she quite literally started out as) are really missing some key aspects of her character.

Anyway, I’m excited, and I’m very interested to hear some other perspectives on this, pre-release. We’ll see if I’m consolable after the release. xD

I’m kind of conflicted. Mandalorian S2 had its highs and lows, and I skipped BoBF (although I know what happened). There are things I’d like to see, but I have cautiously low expectations for anything Star Wars nowadays.

1 Like

I very much sympathize with that perspective, but I’m not quite as concerned about the general quality of S3 because seasons one and two were so good, and the two Mandalorian episodes of BoBF were excellent. I have my creative disagreements with the paths they took in season two, but aside from those disagreements the story and show were both quite excellent.

That’s essentially my fear with S3, is that the story and show will be quite good but the story won’t go where I’d rather it would.

Having watched first episode I I find that I’m more curious about this season that the preceding ones.

The pirate king arc was an interesting and nice addition to the story, and the whole Mandalore arc is going to be interesting, even if it may introduce new stuff and overwrite old stuff. I’m glad it’s not solely focusing on the mandalorian stuff, although I hope it’s going to focus mostly on Mandalore, the living waters, and all that juicy stuff. The pirate king could end up being a real threat, I hope, which would be cool - even if it may end with a bunch of Mandalorians just stomping them flat. Karga is going to be interesting, most of his development so far has happened off-screen, so it’ll be interesting to see where they are going with him and Navarro.

And that, kids, is how Baby Yoda got hyperspace madness. He even started hallucinating!

(I do question the logistics of how he got to the front cockpit—I couldn’t see space for a door—but whatever.)

I’d rate it 7/8 on the fifty-cal scale, and be forewarned this review is way out of order.

Blaster-proof creatures are a pet peeve of mine, because EVERY even moderately large creature is blaster proof these days! (I’m looking at you, Bad Batch.)

Regardless of my frustrations with the constant stream of one-off, oversized, blaster-proof monsters, I enjoyed that scene. And that will be a running theme, I imagine.
The enjoying scenes part, hopefully not the monsters, but now that I say that I suppose it works for both.

IG-11 should’ve just been allowed to live out his death as a statue. Self-destructing with a thermal detonator is rather permanent. Or else … why would they have a self-destruct feature at all? Isn’t the whole point to keep his tech from being coopted/copied? I would have much preferred it if they just went “nope, he’s irreparable” and left it at that, but the scenes with him were fantastic. I just don’t like the new MacGuffin hunt.

As for things I do like: The scenes with the pirates were good. The “shoot the blaster out of his hand” is stupid, but it’s a western trope and I grew up on westerns (which this is), so I can forgive it here. The asteroid belt fight was excellent, and the pirates saying pirate-y things was campy and enjoyable. The Mandalorian owns what it is as a slightly campy cross-genre space opera and does it well. Perhaps leaning farther into it than the OT, perhaps too far, but it doesn’t have to be elementally identical to have a Star Wars feel. I like that it nods to the far end of the camp spectrum, while having a very serious underlying story.

The scene with the “helmeting” was excellent, both to see the armor forging and to see the age at which the child is given a helmet, because it lines up neatly with what I had surmised for the Children of the Watch in my Mandalorian armor article.

The scene at the end with Bo-Katan was beautifully flawless. Well-acted, well-written, and pretty much exactly what I’d hoped to see. It was also very sad, and that was both intentional and well done. The long walk through the lonely castle with the bitter queen was just perfect.

Nevarro seems to have grown too many trees too quickly, but we don’t know how much time has passed to see such a radical change in the city as a whole. But I like it, and Greef Karga now has a special place in my heart beside Lando, who is apparently his cousin or role-model or something.

So all-in-all, I’m enjoying it and looking forward to seeing more. I just miss Cara Dune. She would’ve been great for the first pirate scene, besides her general utility and the fun relationship with Mando.

1 Like

Was “belter” ever used before in Star Wars? I’ve seen it in other sci-fi but I don’t know if it’s ever cropped up before.

What do you mean? References to miners on asteroid belts, or the use of a particular word? I can’t speak to a particular word, but there have definitely been references to asteroid miners.

That particular word.

I do not believe I have heard it in Star Wars movies or shows, but there is such an extensive catalog of print media that I’m sure it’s probably come up somewhere.

Ah, checked Wookieepedia and found a couple examples:

Great episode, good journey, and that final eye … :sauropod:

*Ahem*
“Armored Mandalorians avoid bodies of water whenever possible—beskar is not known for its buoyancy.”
—Excerpt from chapter four of my book on Mandalorian armor.

7/8 on the fifty-cal scale. There’s only one thing holding it back, which I’ll describe shortly.

Baby Yoda is great as always, and gets a particular chance to be more than a cute floaty ball and actually contribute to the plot, which is excellent.
Bo-Katan is fantastic! They’re doing quite well with her, and I’m very pleased. Her complicated emotions around Mandalore are also excellent, and really all I could ask for. The dichotomy between “get rid of him” and “I guess I’ll go save him now” was excellent. She’s one of my favorite characters for a very good reason, and this is only further cementing her within that position.

The alien critters were okay, but I didn’t particularly care for the Man(dalor)ian Savrips. You’d think the Mandalorians have driven a species of man-eating primitives into extinction a long time ago. I did quite like the alien mech-suit thing. Sadly, no strills. I was hoping one of the creatures in the dark would prove to be one and Mando would get a puppy for Baby Yoda (hey, it would scale to the kid’s lifespan), but it was not to be.

Underwater jetpack was questionable, but sure, why not?

The highlight had to be the Mythosaur. I knew what was coming the moment I saw the tip of the horn sticking just onto the screen, and was very, very much not disappointed.

My only problem is my problem from the last episode: The droid.
The writers need him to have an astromech so that they can have Baby Yoda leave Din on Mandalore. The way they went about that was IG-11>MacGuffin>substitute>profit.
The first problem is that he wouldn’t be able to cram IG-11 into his starfighter. The conversation with Peli strongly implies the writers hadn’t thought that through.
2: IG-11 pretty thoroughly self-destructed, or at least it should’ve been treated that way.
3: If he can pressurize his helmet, he doesn’t need the droid and can just carry a hand-scanner.
3.5: The starfighter could perform an atmospheric scan, or at least it should be able to.
D: While the Peli Motto used-droid-salesman bit was funny, Din is way too smart to actually be snookered. “I’ll take it anyway” would work a lot better than “I thought you said this droid was built for adventure?”

1 Like

I cannot stand the state of hyperspace travel speed any more. It just bothers me so much.

The first third of the episode feels incredibly front loaded. But once they get to Mandalore the episode is fine, although the cyborg bug guy is strange.

And it’s probably been noted before, but Bo-Katan has got to be around Obi-Wan’s age, right?

1 Like

Bo-Katan is about 65, estimating based on her life’s timeline, a fact many fan-fic writers seem to have … overlooked. *facepalm*

I agree with you on the episode’s pacing.
I agree on the state of hyperspace travel as well. I’ve thrown my hands up over it and just ignore it now.

My only two complaints (that I can recall at the moment) is the IG should have been blown to smithereens and the pirate captain yet ANOTHER stupid species Disney cranks out instead of using existing species and giving them more depth.

1 Like

I had to do this after TFA. It bugged me the whole weirdness they did with hyperspace in the film, but I chose (after a while) to just roll with the punches. It’s made it a lot easier to deal with the new stuff (whether hyperspace related or otherwise).

1 Like

So after Bo Katan rescued Din Dijarin the first time in ep 2, why didn’t she keep the dark saber. She defeated the cyborg thingy that captured and disarmed him, so shouldn’t it belong to her now? She didn’t want to kill Din Dijarin to get it because he was a loyal ally but episode 2 of season 3 gave her the opportunity to earn/keep it without killing him. So what’s up with that?

She has principles and standards, which a lot of people forget. In a very cynical reading, she could have just taken the saber and walked off, but he was still an ally, and she owed him her support. Perhaps she even cared about him and wanted to help him, out of comradeship more than any simple duty. Personally, I read it more the latter way.

Bo-Katan has never been after power for power’s sake. She cares about her people and her culture, and she wants to ensure their survival. Twice, she tried and failed. She tried a third time, and the darksaber fell into someone else’s hands. 1) Perhaps she has given up on leadership, and 2) perhaps she thinks they’ll rally around a new Mand’alor and intends to convince Din to step into a leadership role over his people, a role he seems reticent to take.

1 Like

I really enjoyed the exchanges between the Believer and the Scorned Skeptic.

Didn’t she know about the dropoff? At least warn him about the depth of the pool??

She may not have expected him to do something that stupid, but she also may not have known, or realized, how deep it really went.

She certainly wasn’t trying to bait him into drowning, that’s inconsistent with the rest of their interactions (like her diving down to the bottom to save him).

Because the cyborg thingy wasn’t wielding the Darksaber? She defeated the cyborg thingy, not Djarin. She needs to defeat Djarin to rightfully gain the Darksaber. ETA: Could have been funny, but story-killing, if the cyborg thingy ran off with the Darksaber and thus claimed rightful rule over the Mandalorians. :laughing:

1 Like