Matukai Universal Spec

So back on the ffg forums i had a force traditions universal specs thread… and the spec from that i was most proud of was the Matukai

Matukai | Wookieepedia | Fandom.

After feedback my take on the Matukai was as follows (it’s similar to nightsister from i think collapse of the republic)

Career skills: brawl, coordination, discipline, resilience

Iron body   Wan Shen technique.  Iron Body.  Toughened

|                           |  

Somatic ritual    Parry----unarmed parry    Enduring

|               |                           |

Burning Hands   Extended reach---weapon kata---Dodge

Inner Harmony    witchcraft   Superior reflexes----Dodge (improved)

|               |             |

Balance ----Sixth sense ---natural brawler---Dedication

New Talents:

Wan shen technique: Melee becomes a career skill. In addition the character can use a two handed Brawl, Melee, or Lightsaber weapon in one hand and receive the benefits of using it in two hands and one hand simultaneously

Weapon kata: once per round after making a successful Brawl , Melee , or Lightsaber attack, the character may spend 2 advantage to immediately make a Brawl attack as an incidental against any legal target.

Inner Harmony: force talent: the character may use the enhance force power (including purchased upgrades) and balance talent even when all force dice are committed, furthermore he generates OO on top of the rolled force die results rolled for the enhance force power and balance talent. the extra OO can not be spent on other force talents or powers.

Burning hands: force talent: the character may commit a force die to add damage equal to ranks in discipline to each hit of unarmed brawl attacks made while the force die remains committed

Somatic Ritual: force talent: the character may spend a maneuver to temporarily increase his force rating by one for one use of a force power or force talent made before the end of his next turn, this extra force die can not be committed.

Inner Harmony is similar to empty soul from ascetic… it grants 2 white pips instead of one white and one black… but it can only be used on the enhance force power and balance talent. And that fits with the lore. Somatic ritual is like a force rating you have to spend a maneuver to use which also fits with a matukai’s weaker force connection.

So overall, pretty good but lately i was thinking of dropping somatic ritual and sixth sense and replacing them with 2 ranks of combat veteran (which adds a boost to brawl and discipline) which i think is just so appropriate. So the new tree would be

Career skills: brawl, coordination, discipline, resilience

Iron body.    Wan Shen technique. Iron Body Toughened

Combat Veteran---Parry----unarmed parry    Enduring

|                           |

Burning Hands Extended reach---weapon kata---Dodge

Inner Harmony witchcraft.   Superior reflexes----Dodge (improved)

|               |               |

Balance --Combat Veteran---natural brawler---Dedication

So what do you all think?

1 Like

I used OggDude’s generator to make a make a more professional spec sheet for the Matukai Adept

I tried putting the above in a build and discovered it was very expensive for what you get, so im contemplating rejiggering it to be more cost effective. What would you think of

Toughened   wan shen tech   CombVet   Parry
    |            |                         |
Iron body Extended reach imp parry---unarmed parry
    |            |            |            |
CombVet --- weap kata --- nat brawler   dodge
                 |            |            |
Burn Hands---witchcraft---sup reflex----imp dodge
In Harmon --- Balance --- Dedication--- 6th sense

EDIT: With this one i think I over corrected and made things too cheap, lets try again

Another

Toughened   wan shen tech   CombatVet   Precis Strike
    |            |                         |
Iron body Extended reach unarmed parry--- parry
CombatVet---weap kata --- imp parry   dodge
                 |            |            |
Burn Hands---witchcraft---nat brawler----imp dodge
In Harmony--- Balance --- Dedication---sup reflex

This seems better on cost without being over powered but it occurs to me that i may be trying to cram too much into one spec and i may need a a second spec with prerequisites (say FR1 and wan shen technique) matukai master. Under the scenario, inner Harmony would become a ranked talent and analogous to the force rating. Somatic ritual would appear in theatukai master without the restriction on committing the force die.

So what talents should the Matukai Master (or Sensi or something like that) have The theme of the class would be more mental, more at peace, more force, and more defensive than the adept

Perquisite is MatukaiAdept and FR>=1

But i’m going to co design the Matukai adept a master trees

New Talents:
Wan shen technique: Melee becomes a career skill. In addition the character can use a two handed Brawl, Melee, or Lightsaber weapon in one hand and receive the benefits of using it in two hands and one hand simultaneously

Weapon kata: once per round after making a successful Brawl , Melee , or Lightsaber attack, the character may spend 2 advantage to immediately make a Brawl attack as an incidental against any legal target.

Improved Weapon kata: the character can now also activate weapon kata after brawl, melee, and lightsaber attacks that miss)

Inner Harmony: force talent: the character may use the enhance force power (including purchased upgrades) and balance talent even when all force dice are committed, furthermore he generates OO (2 lightside force points) per rank of inner harmony on top of the rolled force die results rolled for the enhance force power and balance talent. the extra O can not be spent on other force talents or powers.

Burning hands: force talent: the character may commit a force die to add damage equal to ranks in discipline to each hit of unarmed brawl attacks made while the force die remains committed

Supreme Healing trance: force talent: While in a Healing Trance, the character also recovers strain equal to ranks in healing trance per round

somatic ritual: force talent: once per round the character may spend a maneuver to increase his/her force rating by ranks in somatic ritual until the end of his/her turn. These temporary force dice may be comitted indefinitely but the character gains no benefit from performing another sommatic ritual until they are uncommitted

Not a new talent but inner peace is unusual, it’s from juto berserker tree

So lets try co designing the 2 trees

But first i’d say a wan shen has the same stats as a vibro-glaive

ADEPT: brawl, coordination, discipline, resilience
WanShenTech Toughened parry PrecStrike
    |         |         |         |
ExtReach---Parry---UnarmedParry CombatVet
              |         |         |
SomRit WeapKata---ImpParry---Grit
BurnHand---WItchCraft NatBrawl IronBody
InHarmony---Balance---Dedication---ImpPrecStrike

MASTER: athletics, cool, perception, vigilance
HealTrance CombatVet Toughened PreAvoid
HealTrance FeralStr---IronBody---Dodge
    |         |                   |
SomRit ImpWeapKata---SupRef---ImpDodge
    |                   |         |
ImpHealTrance InPeace---6thSense---CoordDodge
    |         |                   |
SupHealTrance---InHarmony---InPeace---Dedication

Neither tree grants FR 1 (other than through the witchcraft talent witch originally appeared in nightsister tree)

I figure the prereqs for matukai master ought to be “wan shen technique” and “weapon kata” talents

Here are the trees for both specs

I wasn’t happy with that first take on a 2 spec Matukai force traddition, here is V2, can you guys provide some feedback on it

So i moved the part 2 (improved) talents from master to adept and now there aren’t any all new talents other than second ranks of inner Harmony and somatic ritual. Which kind of makes me think it’s a grabbag of talents without much of a theme. So im kind of thinking of scrapping the matukai master, either that or i have to rework the master with a new theme… i think i need to ditch the dodge and coordination dodge talents for starters and probably sixt sense and superior reflexes for starters, maybe circle of sheter too.

Im thinking of the new theme being something of LIMITED force wizard so 2 ranks of somatic ritual and maybe some “novel” force talents, something like immunity to force attacks without stepping on the toes of calming aura or supress or endure… maybe something like sarlac sweep for melee/brawl.

here’s the latest and greatest Matukai Adept

I stripped out a rank of “combat veteran” which was in my wish list and replaced it with a second rank of iron body because the two other specs that have iron body (which coincidentally both have precision strike and improved precision strike) had two ranks of iron body I jiggled the tree slightly so the 2 ranks of iron body weren’t adjacent to each other and swap the locations of improved parry and improved weapon kata so that Jedi Knight would remain the only spec with a 15 xp improved parry (It’s now 20 xp in this tree). And I increased improved balance to 2 strain recovered per round which as a 25 xp talent is more expensive (and more limited, and less powerful) than ebb/flow with the control upgrade that lets you recover/inflict additional strain for additional white pips. BTW 2 strain per round pays for either 1 unarmed parry or 1 weapon kata (regular or improved) per round but not both so it seems balanced (no pun intended) to me.

To make sure it didn’t synergize too well with other specs I put in a 2000 earned xp jedi build where I tried to break the system and it came out pretty comparable to my other 2000 earned xp builds using only raw mechanics, you’re mileage may vary

so thoughts?

1 Like