So RPGSessions just increased their maximum dice from 20 to 30, which seems insane, but got me thinking: What is the theoretical maximum number of dice you can roll?
For a character with:
- Up to 3 specialisations
- Up to 2 signature abilities
- The GM adding up to 4 Boost or Setback dice
- Carrying equipment 4 points over their encumbrance limit, adding 4 Setback dice to Agility and Brawn checks
- An arbitrary number of buffs and debuffs from allied & enemy talents and abilities, but each only applied once
I’m thinking an Athletics check boosted by Enhance or an attack might be optimal.
- Maximum difficulty is 6
- Maximum characteristics are 10:
- 6 base
- +1 cybernetics, extra +1 from Overcharge on the cybernetics
- +1 Stim application
- +1 Strength-enhancing system armour mod (2HP)
- Maximum skills are 9:
- 5 base
- +1 cybernetics, extra +1 from Overcharge
- +2 from Strength-enhancing system armour mod upgrades
Add force powers and talents:
- Enhance adds FR in Force dice to Athletics checks
- If the Athletics check is to run in a chase, then Shortcut can add a Boost.
- Sentinel: Racer adds 3 Boost, +1 Force Rating (+1 if taken as first class)
- Warrior: Starfighter Ace - Touch of Fate adds 2 Boost once/session, +1 Force Rating
- Multiple specialisations each add either 2 ranks of Shortcut or +2 Force Rating
Then, there’s the supporting party to think about:
- Improved Inspiring Rhetoric adds +1 Boost to allies’ checks
- Thorough Assessment adds +1 Boost to allies’ checks
- Improved Speak Binary lets assisting droids add 2 Boost
So if the GM adds 4 Setback we’ve got at least 9 Proficiency, 1 Ability, 3 Force dice and 9 Boosts, plus another 2 Force/Boosts against 6 Difficulty, 8 Setback for 38 dice.
There’s still a bunch of extra space to go though. I’m thinking of ignoring the potential Boosts/Setbacks generated from Advantage and Threat on allied checks as that just doesn’t cap- an arbitrarily large number of allies can hand out an arbitrarily large number of Boosts. We still don’t have much equipment on this character, though, and there’s going to be a bunch of extra armour HP!
So can anyone think of any more improvements to this?