Obi-Wan Kenobi (Disney+ spoilers)

Those two episodes. Man. This is going to be great!

I’m still digesting, but I am delighted and excited!

Owen, was really good. I really like his gruff demeanour.

The inquisitors, a bit petty with each other, but that’s fitting with who and what they are and how they’re controlled, I guess.

Reva is apparently not a former Jedi, which is intriguing.

Fifth brother’s voice has been satisfyingly been slightly modulated. He’s a bit … I don’t know … less aggressive and more petty than in Rebels, but I like him.

And was/is it a different Grand Inquisitor? Or … upcoming cybernetics? Hm… I assume cybernetics. I really like this actor’s version.

Leia, of course she’s the incentive for the story. I really like that, and the actress is cool, she does a good job of being 10 year old Leia I think.

Oh, and Kenobi’s face and reaction to the revelation that Anakin/Vader is alive…

2 Likes

Part one:
Apparently part of Jedi training is dancing lessons, how nice.
Was that Bultar Swan?

Disney lightsaber combat has become much more chaotic and flaily. It looks extremely undisciplined, and like the Jedi are defending themselves through sheer blind luck.

As noted from the trailer, the Grand Inquisitor’s head is misshapen and the Fifth Brother is scrawny. How do you screw that up this badly? He’s supposed to be huge! Oh, and his voice is terrible. Nor does he act particularly like the fifth brother? I guess he’s the good cop now. Why not just make a new character if you’re going to completely change everything about him?

So… the inquisitors are broadly known throughout the galaxy, even by humble cantina owners on Tatooine? News to the Rebels crew, seven/eight years later.

They stole another one of my names! I wrote two entire books about a Nari, with more coming! Also, more evidence that Order 66 was the least effective purge of anything in galactic history, since approximately 90% of the Jedi survived. Also, “Jedis” is a rookie mistake; whoever wrote the subtitles was clearly not up to the task.

You’re telling me they have a meat-packing plant, in the open air, in the DESERT? I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt that they don’t just leave the meat out overnight when they all go home, even though it seems to imply that.

So Eopies are omnivores? That definitely makes sense.

“Merr-Sonn” pirates? Are they crazy, or just foolish enough to have a name that sounds exactly like something else? Given the established rookie errors of whoever wrote the subtitles, I’m not sure.

“I don’t want to be a senator.”
“Which is why you’ll probably be one of the best.”
Okay, that was the best moment of the whole episode.

Why did she go right up to a stranger who she was pretty sure shouldn’t have been there? And why did they try to protract three goons chasing a ten-year-old girl into a full-on chase scene, as if she had any chance of evading them? They were clearly trying to find excuses for why they didn’t succeed immediately, and it looked horrible. Also, is it just me or does she look really young for “ten”? I would’ve guessed six or so if the timeline wasn’t specified, but then I’m not good with human ages.

So, he’s not even trying to hide his lightsaber as he boards a civilian transport? They don’t have any kind of TSA?

All in all, as much as I wanted to enjoy the show (it is Star Wars, after all), it leaves much to be desired. Obi-Wan is quite excellent, and Owen is well-acted, but there is just so much wrong with the show. On to episode two, hopefully it’s better.

1 Like

Man, that de-aging technology is crazy! Mark Hamill looks like a 10-year-old!

3 Likes

I’ll give you that, you write highly entertaining and funny observations. It wouldn’t do well as stand-up, but it does okay as humour in a forum context. :sweat_smile:

Right! And now Carrie Fisher too? That’s just really well done de-aging tech.

My acerbic wit is at its best when I’m in pain and feeling especially snarky. But everything I said was serious.

The beginning of episode two was great, especially the scene with the “Jedi.” Gave me hope for the show.

Then, it kinda got worse. Obi-Wan, Owen, and Haja are the best characters in the show, by a wide margin. Of the characters who have gotten significant screen time, the others are almost unbearably obnoxious, or just sort of there.

Leia is a brat. No two bones about it. Before agreeing to save someone’s kid, make sure you ask how well-behaved she is.
And then she lectures Obi-Wan about “is it that hard to believe you might have friends?” after refusing to trust him or listen to him and questioning his identity and motives for the last several hours. Then she talks about how she was shot at, nearly fell to her death, etc. Who’s fault was that!?!?

The bit with the spice was clever, but it was an obvious Chekhov’s gun, and the payoff was too quick. It’s like when you’re playing through a game and there just happens to be a rocket launcher placed before the door that will lead you to an encounter where you have to fight a tank. At least there you can justify it by saying that it was brought by a team that tried to fight the tank and died, but here, the use doesn’t increase the likelihood of provision.

On that note, though, the “I was somebody’s daughter once” line was pretty heart-breaking. It reminded me of the song “Somebody’s Baby” by Jon Foreman.

Some of the “infiltration” stuff was a bit too clever by half, where it looks like they skipped the process of infiltration because they couldn’t find a convincing way to show it. Now, time constraints are also a consideration, but it looks like “cheaty” writing to me. (Speaking of time, between the credits and intro, it’s only 33 minutes of show)

If he could have communicated with Bail Organa (“I let your parents know you were safe,” though he could have been lying) then he could’ve had Leia talk to Bail (or vice versa), couldn’t he? If I take the situation on its face, Obi-Wan handled that very poorly. Then again, we never saw anything. Maybe he just send a prearranged signal, rather than an A/V communique.

I like Haja a lot, he’s a very interesting character.

Ah, yes, poor Reva, the put-upon black woman who’s constantly being told she’s “less than.” My prediction when I first saw her (first human inquisitor, new to the show) was that it’d end up somewhere along those lines.

But quite honestly, she’s got it good. Vader doesn’t like it when his inquisitors get too uppity. Realistically, she’d have met a pretty brutal death a while ago. The Vader comics put this into pretty stark relief. So for her to still be acting as obnoxiously entitled as she is (she stabbed her boss with a lightsaber!), she must have some confidence there won’t be any consequences.

And now she’s stabbed her boss with a lightsaber! If she isn’t executed (or doesn’t become a pursued outlaw), it’ll very likely be an example of bad writing. Perhaps they’ll find a way to justify it (if Vader has a one-time exception to his rule against ambition, I’ll be even more disapproving), but I doubt they will. She stabbed her boss with a lightsaber!

My prediction is that she either gets a redemption arc or is commended by Vader. Decent chance she temporarily replaces the Grand Inquisitor. Hopefully they surprise me with good writing.

Re: Kid!Leia’s actor’s apparent age.

Kids vary a lot in that age range, as I know several little kids about that old that could be around her height, so I could believe her age.

2 Likes

Also, I’d never in a million years expect to see Flea in a Star Wars anything.

2 Likes

@P-47Thunderbolt has pretty much captured all of my (and my wife’s) reactions to this very bad show.

The only other bit we are still mad about is the zero stakes. When the ads made us feel like the show would be about whether Obi-Wan could protect Luke long enough for Luke into adulthood, there were no stakes. Now that it’s about whether he can keep Leia alive, there are the same zero stakes.

Ep 1 gave me a glimmer of hope that the show might be about Kenobi having to protect other fleeing jedi, which created actual tension. Then the killed that Safdie jedi and we were right back to none of this having any tension at all.

Sigh. Such a waste of great actors (and also that actor playing child Leia who is awful, even for a child actor).

1 Like

Easily. I think she did a really good job, particularly the way she roasted her cousin, that was awesome. Reminds me of a few of my nieces (and daughters of friends).

Same about the silly “brat” claim, kids are usually brats (in my experience), and Leia stayed a “brat” - if that’s the preferred normative judgement - all the way until the end. Her snarky “better-than-thou” behaviour throughout the movies is part of what makes her her. We just don’t call it “brat” when they’ve become adults (well, perhaps sometimes), but it is essentially the same kind of behaviour. So very true to the character I think. Like her bratty comment to Tarkin about holding Vader’s leash, or “you came in that thing?” …

Haja was … well acted, but so far an uninteresting NPC-type minion character (with potential for development into a Rival-level NPC, perhaps even nemesis-level), he added humour in a good way, but was basically a run of the mill opportunistic conman, that was “suddenly” revealed to have a conscience in a ham-fisted way, very convenient… Not believable (yet), but it is Star Wars we’re talking about, so acceptable nonetheless. A mini spin-off series set on Daiyu with Haja and his kid lackey could be fun. I wonder if we’ll see more of him. That could be interesting.

Reva is interesting, but so far she’s a one-dimensional ambitious, angry and bitter character. I expect her to be developed more, but she’s clearly an underdog among the inquisitors - which makes me wonder about the numbering of the inquisitors, she’s third sister (I believe?), but her status doesn’t seem to have anything to do with that (or at least not within the pecking order of the inquisitors). It will be interesting to see any interaction between her and Vader, and how the Grand Inquisitor survives and reacts… a redemption arc could be interesting, but I kind of hope not, at least not one with a happy ending at least… I mean, I hope she survives and we get a second Kenobi series, because these two first episodes were great world building stories.

I was also a bit surprised that the Inquisitors seem to know that Vader was Anakin. It makes me more curious about the whole inquisitorius thing.

I think, considering that this series is basically long-winded exposition - like the prequels, Solo, and the upcoming Andor-series - that it is well made, well told (so far), with a cool incentive for getting Kenobi out and about, and away from Luke (I’m glad it’s not story set only on Tatooine, were the main antagonist was Jabba or something). The stakes aren’t going to feel great, because we know when and how he dies. We also know that neither Vader nor the Emperor are aware of Anakin’s offspring existing until much later.

I would expect Leia to be present in another couple of episodes, perhaps only one, where she’s delivered back (potentially giving the Organas a challenge to explain the rescue of their child), before it becomes an intense hunt for Kenobi, and a showdown between Kenobi and Vader. The resolution of this should leave Vader at least in somewhat doubt about Kenobi’s survival, but not too much doubt, as he doesn’t appear very surprised in Episode IV.

1. a child, especially an annoying, spoiled, or impolite child

She fits the bill. But I know a good many kids who are practically angels compared to her. All kids act up some times, but the way they show Leia isn’t just that she did the wrong thing a couple times, or disobeyed her parents and got abducted, but that she has a constant habit of utterly disregarding authority, saying intentionally hurtful things to those around her, lying to her father’s face, manipulating her servants into covering for her, ignoring the instructions of the person trying to help her escape, etc.

If that sort of behavior is your experience with kids, then the parents I know must have much higher standards than the ones you do, because that kind of behavior is utterly inexcusable among the families I know. Even the large ones where you’d expect the kids to run wild.

At the very least, calling the claim “silly” is a bridge too far.

It’s also a step away from how we’ve seen a young Leia portrayed before. I read a New Hope novelization where part of the story was from her perspective, and she pulled a very similar trick at a very similar age to get out of a social function. When caught, she genuinely apologized and promised not to do it again, and it wasn’t implied that this was a near constant performance. She was shown as headstrong and independent, but not a royal pain.
Just as an example.

As for adult Leia, the same behaviors that would be called “bratty” of a child might not be called the same thing of an adult, because there is a wide gulf between what it means to be an adult with responsibilities and a child who is one. Making orders and getting one’s way are something adults with authority can (and should!) do, while of a child is a sign of too much indulgence or of a personality that needs some conditioning.

They’d be stretching butter across too much bread if they tried to make a second series, so no thank you. But what do you mean they’re great world-building? If all you mean is that they show lots of new things, sure, but the quality is somewhat lacking. They had an OPEN-AIR meat-packing plant in the DESERT and they didn’t even wear gloves! He then fed said meat to an Eopie, which is a cameloid that subsists off of lichen! I consider that horrible world-building, just as I consider brutalism to be horrible architecture (Yay, you built an eyesore).

Not necessarily, you see they intentionally kept her disappearance quiet so they could use Obi-Wan, and he could return her without raising eyebrows. But if they know Bail can contact Obi-Wan… why exactly did they let him stay in the senate for so long? He was consorting with an enemy of the state, wasn’t he?

2 Likes

I think the show is fine enough as is so far, but I don’t really care what they do with “canon” any more. They wiped the slate clean of the EU so they could have a “unified story,” but I think it’s gotten to the point of writers and showrunners not caring about keeping track of continuity.

1 Like

Yeah, I live in a country where children’s rights inform legislation and culture, where corporal punishment (as defined by the convention on the rights of the child) and archaic norms about behaviour (“higher standards” ?) are basically outlawed and/or generally considered backwards, because by any communicative and pragmatic rational measure they simply are (that’s not including traditional rationality, as per Weber, so it can be rational, but still archaic or (culturally) conservative by definition, which is more ethos or pathos, than logos in my opinion).
So, that was me doing like you, putting (way) too much interpretational silliness (and jumping to assumptions) into my reply about you and your context. :wink:

So, to be clear, I’m not judging you, your context, nor your stance, experience with, nor expectations about children. I’m just saying that I’m not judging it the same way it appears to me that you are doing.

I can agree with that, insofar as the judgement also applies to the adult version of Leia as we have seen in the films.

This doesn’t change the fact of her “brattiness” as an adult, that she has responsibilities doesn’t make her behaviour any less bratty as an adult - but we see it more as humour and judge it differently (partly by rationalising it, as you just did). It’s why we like the character, but apparently not when the character traits appear in the child version. So I disagree that this is a flaw of the character at any age, it speaks to expectations about “child behaviour” rather than the writing or acting. In fact I think she’s quite well-written for an adopted child growing up in a space aristocracy, with the innate abilities and qualities we know she has inherited and will show later. She’s recognisable, if perhaps not as likeable as she will become.

I agree, I seriously doubt they’ll make a second series for the same reason, but I’d watch it if they did.

What I mean? Did you watch the episodes? :wink: Like, really watch it and take it in? Or did you put on your ring of critical rejection before clicking play? :wink:

But more to the point, I do not know what you mean by “quality”, but it doesn’t appear well-grounded to me, with regard to context and relevance. I am not sure what your problem is with an open-air meat-packing plant on Tatooine, in a fantasy world. Sure, hygiene and real-world facts are fun to throw around, but are utterly irrelevant to my suspension of disbelief when watching a space fantasy story (we have already established that we differ on this in previous encounters, so I do not expect that this will change :slightly_smiling_face: ). I find your lack of context-relevant and substantial arguments disturbing :wink: but I do appreciate and respect the subjective opinion. It’s a question of taste; I have seen what I consider some really beautiful examples of brutalism. :wink: And taste, well, that’s a personal thing and hardly has any external validity, at least if the reasoning is based on pathos (and/or ethos).

I think the way they show how the community in Mos Eisley is interesting, it adds to what we know. Daiyu is interesting, the way it seems to be cut off (signals are locked out or whatever), the spice lab, the dealer, the conman, the refugees trying to avoid capture with a child that’s “showing”. A kind of Nar Shaddaa-esque world, but not run by the Hutts (maybe). It adds to those aspects of the storyverse, and I like it, it’s inspirational for storytelling and running games. The crashed creature they are cutting meat out of on Tatooine is cool (ignoring your issues with an open-air thing, because I think it’s irrelevant), is this a rare or common occurrence, that a creature crash-lands on Tatooine? And I really like the idea of some guy or company travelling around and harvesting them. A carrion-like kind of meat industry on a mostly barren planet, it’s weird, alien, different, it’s cool. Perhaps an entrepreneurial big-game hunter that makes the creatures crash on planets, or kills them in-atmosphere, to then harvest and sell; a rare meats industry… and gloves and open-air? They could easily have tech that makes all of that unnecessary (and no, I do not think they have to show it, because it is ultimately irrelevant to the story they’re telling). The creature looks familiar, it’s definitely not a Purrgil, but I think we’ve seen it before in Rebels; the episode with the creatures that get excited about the jamming or cloaking signal thing that the Phantom transmits…

Exactly. We know it was Reva who set it up, and the GI knows it, so it’s plausible that Vader would be informed, more than plausible I’d assume, but we don’t know how they’ll resolve that… Perhaps this is part of some foreseen plan of the Emperor? Or Vader keeping it under wraps for himself? It’ll be interesting to see how they resolve it. :slightly_smiling_face:

//ADDENDUM: I mean, the Emperor has foreseen “everything”, and he’s probably aware or at least strongly suspects that Bail and/or others are grumbling and may (plan) take actions against him, he expects it at the very least. And he probably schemes on several levels, letting Vader know some of it, the military leadership, Tarkin, the Senate, and his sycophants know less and different things… he’s an evil emperor following his own logic and rationality, he pits his own people against each other (like his orchestration of the clone wars) to control them, so while it may seem strange that he lets Bail and others do as they do, is that his long-term plan is beyond the Empire - as we see in the sequel trilogy. And sure, that can be criticised on several levels for a number of things, but for the sake of demarcating the context to the films and tv-shows, and the stories they seem to want to tell, it seems plausible… The emperor’s ‘only’ flaw is that he believes himself invincible and that nothing can really prevent his success.//

Also, I like it that not everyone likes the show (as much as I currently do). It makes me consider the criticism (so far not convinced by any of it), and it makes me consider more closely what I do like, and why I like it (beyond my ‘bottomless’ enthusiasm and blind deference). It usually boils down to: this assists me in telling Star Wars stories, it expands the way in which I can tell Star Wars stories, it’s great meat for my GM story-grinder. :smile:

I think they care, but I also think they recognise and appreciate that complete coherence and consistency of the canon is an ambition that is utterly unattainable. Changes will have to be made, inconsistencies will appear, as there always have been. But yes, what they do with canon isn’t really that important to me either, beyond the broad strokes. Whether or not a creature that has been described to eat lichen suddenly also can eat crashed space-creature meat… that’s irrelevant to me. They are somewhat beholden to what has been established, but it’s no issue for me if they expand on it, adjust it, and so on.

Well, apparently the lack of “archaic” norms about standards result in poorly behaved children (who will then become poorly-behaved adults). The conflation of standards, parenting, and ABUSE is pretty startling. It seems you either lack a full understanding of the topic you are discussing or are just going over the top to try and tick me off.

As for “illogical” (which is what it means to not be in line with logos), having standards and bringing up children WITH standards has near-universally better outcomes. I’d call that pretty logical.

If you bring up children without manners, they will enter adult life without manners. A society of mannerless, standardless adults is not a society I much want to live in, and it is the society I see growing up around me.

You said that you’re used to kids who act that way. I said that if you are, then I’m used to a different context, where parents have higher standards. Is that somehow wrong? No, it is strictly true. I didn’t even make a moral statement about what was better (i.e. “the parents you know must all be awful!”), even though my opinion about which method is superior is probably quite clear (even then, it doesn’t mean the people you know are “bad parents.” I don’t make moral judgements about things I don’t know about). You yourself conflate high standards with abuse (unless you were strawmanning your own side for… effect), so if the parents you know really did have high standards, then you’d have been implying that they were abusive, right?

Therefore, it is logical to believe that the parents who surround you have lower standards than those possessed by the parents around me. Agreed?

You said children around you act similarly to Leia, whose behavior appalled me, and that then meant that Leia wasn’t actually acting poorly or that her behavior was excusable and that it shouldn’t bother me (because if that wasn’t your point, you’d have just said “yeah, she was being a brat. Pity that’s so common”).

But hey, if you want to “tar me” with conservatively holding to archaic standards which bring about human flourishing, then I’ll gladly be considered a relic. I’m already a museum piece. It is sheer chronological snobbery to believe that the old must be worse and that conversely, the new must be better. Western society could do with some “backwards” movement every now and again.

Oh no, I went in with a hopeful skepticism. I “put on my ring of critical rejection” after they proved they didn’t think through certain things very well. If you have criticisms, which you do, why are my criticisms illegitimate?

Because you say this:

But then you also call virtually anything I point out “silly” “lacking” “subjective” “taste” even though I’m talking about technical details, stuff that has standards. Points with logically determinable validity!

If you just want to enjoy the show, you don’t particularly care about its flaws, and you think reading other peoples’ criticisms helps you enjoy the show more, then fine! Enjoy it! I’m happy for you! But don’t insult me when I point out its flaws. What do you even gain by arguing over it?

Brutalism is bad architecture because one of the purposes of architecture is to elevate the beholder. Brutalism intentionally has the opposite effect, and even if not intentionally, it does.

Caveat

Now, I will leave a caveat here that some things which use certain facets of Brutalist architecture (such as “raw” materials being visible) can do so in creative, interesting, and even attractive ways, but then it isn’t really Brutalism since it doesn’t fulfill the other half of the equation. I, however, have never seen such a thing. If you send me pictures, I’d be very interested to see them.

It is much the same with the worldbuilding here, where it does one thing well (broaden) but fails in other respects such as cohesion or making logical sense.

As for the creature, it’s very likely a Krayt. The meat we see the Tuskens harvesting from a Krayt looks very similar. That said, the corpse looks very, very odd.

The idea of a temporary set up to harvest meat doesn’t bother me so much, it’s the fact that they’re in the middle of a desert, which means they’re surrounded by sand, which has a tendency to blow around and “get everywhere” as one noted sand expert put it, yet they didn’t do much of anything to shield the meat as they cut and pack it? Surely they can afford a plastic sheet to go on the floor? I mean, even if it’s Tatooine, it’s still part of galactic civilization.

I’m willing to grant that maybe they plan to send it elsewhere for further processing, but even so. They should still be taking more safety precautions in their treatment of the meat, safety measures that aren’t prohibitively expensive or difficult.

I see what you’re saying. I’m not sure it’s held up by the lore (least not as far as you’re taking it), but ultimately, I don’t want it to be that way. You take it far enough and it removes all agency from the characters, making the choices useless and the stakes vaporous if everything was manipulated from the start.

I’m not going to read all of your guys’ essays on why the show is what you think it is, but I found it to be quite cool. (Then again, I am the target audience hehe)

I loved Ewan’s performance, I really felt it when Reva revealed that Anakin is still alive to Obi-Wan. The transition to Anakin in the bacta and the sound effects we’re just top tier IMO.

Leia is Leia. A little annoying, but most child characters are. She still has the same level of sass she has in the OT, and that’s pretty good if you ask me.

So far it’s entertaining. and I think it’s going to be quite cool.

1 Like

I mean…she’s also a child who’s being told day in and day out by her family and culture that she’s going to be the one in charge some day, told to look forward to the satisfaction of being able to “boss around” the cousin that she put in his place.

This portrayal matches adult Leia, it matches adolescent Leia (as seen in Leia: Princess of Alderaan). And, it also falls into that area of fictional characters not necessarily falling into the same sort of behavioral expectations of the real world, as we expect their character traits to remain identifiable as being the character. They may go through events that alter their behaviors, but in a situation like this, where we’ve been presented with a headstrong, blunt, defiant, powerful woman since day one. I mean, her first dialogue is mouthing off to Darth frakkin’ Vader, so if we roll back the clock like this we don’t really expect to see a docile, compliant wallflower of a child.

At the same time, I think the story is, so far, doing a pretty good job of showing that, despite her attitude, she’s currently out of her depth, doing so by her dialing that attitude up to 11 while also seeing that the attitude doesn’t always succeed.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m used to kids being kids. Kids act this way at some point or another (sometimes never with strangers and only with parents, sometimes just with siblings, sometimes never in front of the family, but readily with strangers, and more and different variations). They are human beings, so they act in all manner of ways, some are more independent, some are less.

Its not like Leia is a complete brat at all times, and perhaps she’s a bit more frequently bratty than your average working class or middle class kid, but considering her social status and the insularity of growing up as space royalty (at least how it seems to be portrayed) that is not a bad character (in a story), nor is it bad for the story, she takes action (not necessarily following some adult or mature logic or reason). It also shows her inner conflicts.

You read my follow-up after the first over-the-top paragraph, that you quoted, I hoped you would understand that the preceding text was intentionally a caricature.

My (other) point is that adult and child Leia are equally “bratty”, and that I think it is well executed in the series. Her behaviour is characteristic of Leia. I think the writing works well, and I think the actress does a good job.

Yes. There is a misplaced belief or confidence in “the new”, but it is no worse than a misplaced belief or confidence in “the old”. I’d argue it is slightly better (but only a smidgen), because we already know “the old” and how nonsensical it is (or can be) for a fact.

Good point. They are not. But my criticism of your criticism is still valid (meta!), however I cannot claim they are illegitimate, this is true.

I’ll admit that I use the term “silly” a bit much (I lived in the UK for a few years, it stuck), but it is only as subjective as your claims. I’m not sure what these standards are that you refer to, I have only understood your truth claims as justified based on subjective taste. I have realised we have a difference of opinion there, too.

I question if these purported flaws are actually flaws. I know you feel they are, and know I feel they are not. This difference is nothing if not interesting. So, I gain understanding of differences in taste, in expectations, in perspectives, and particularly how much of a prick I come across as, which is always a sobering experience. :grimacing:

This is a risk yes, but I fail to see what has broken cohesion or logical sense within the context and delimitations of what the storyverse is and how it appears to actually work.

Watch the camera sweep again (I just rewatched), it’s a space-fish of some kind with eyes and side fins and all, with a groove in the sand from crashing. I’m pretty sure at least, it looks nothing like a Krayt, and much more like that other space fish thing in Rebels (not Purrgil, but the Tibidee maybe, but with smaller wings/fins). They are “excavating” the abdomen or whatshallwecallit.

For the first, sure, I agree. It’s pure speculation.

For the second, yes, agency is limited in that speculation. Although, I’m not trying to claim that everything is manipulated by palpsy, but that there are several considerations we are unaware of, and we do not know who knows what. But given what we do know, there must be or come an explanation that solves some of that, sooner or later. Also, agency is limited when you know how this character’s story ends. So the story must work within those confines. Given that, I think they’ve done what may be a stellar job (jury is still out about the final verdict, but it’s looking good for now :slightly_smiling_face: ).

1 Like

Ignoring the back and forth, did anyone notice that Leia’s utter brat behavior actually got a man killed? One of her household guards? Hopefully they bring this back up as an epiphany for maturing her behavior - “Leia, that loyal man dedicated his life to keeping us safe, but your self-serving behavior got him killed!”. If not, it doesn’t say much about the House of Organa - “Oh well, we’ll get another guard, Leia’s just being a typical upper-class kid”. I seriously hope this isn’t the start of some sort of real-world anti-“elites” commentary creeping in. As in, I hope her abysmal behavior is called out without it being a general hit piece against anyone upper crust. Or perhaps, if ignored, I should just chalk it up to scifi writers being so used to waving off Red Shirt deaths as nothing too concerning?

Different topics.

Ben doesn’t appear to be living up to the “hidden in the desert” feeling we got from Ep. IV. A grown up padawan (?) easily found him. Bail obviously is in the know of his exact location (not just Tatooine) since he abruptly showed up in his cave*. Hopefully they adjust this by the end of the run. I have hopes since the cave doesn’t appear to be his Ep. IV home. Perhaps he gets a little more lost and hidden as the series continues.

*Then again, Bail knowing his exact location could more easily explain how R2 ends up knowing his exact location, so I guess that works.

Are we going to see “Old Ben” speak with Luke? In Ep. IV, Luke comments about him when speaking with Owen, so Luke at least seems to know he lives somewhere on Tatooine. Ben’s going to finally hand him the Skyhopper toy?

Ben tossed off the Force and his lightsaber boo-hooing about how the Jedi are no more, they lost. Yet, he speaks of training and protecting Luke? I don’t know but if you are hoping to defend the future prodigy and teach him the ways of the Force someday (a step better then you did the last one), might you want to keep your best weapon around and keep your skills with the Force honed?

1 Like

Ok so, I just finished part 2, and I have 3 good things and 3 bad things

First lets start with the good stuff

1. The Inqusitors are in live action, SPINNY LIGHTSABER!; Moses and Rupert and Sung did a wonderful job, I think the actors were correctly chosen, though I admit, P57 is right, 5th Brother kinda feels like Good Cop… But still SPINNY LIGHTSABERS IN LIVE ACTION {Very happy A-Wing noises}

2. There is a Jawa named Teeka Which goes to tell me that the JAWS ARE FELINE RELATED, boy he’s bartering… aheh, “Teeka when you take my stuff to sell it back to be can you at least clean it ?” “Cleaning costs extra!” typical jawa for sure! Totally loved the Jawa interaction

3. Nari - Ok Ima say it, I really felt bad for the guy, small bit part really but honestly, he’s trying to do the right thing, for all I know he was a Jedi youngling, who fled or something. and now just tried to survive. I really liked that, his struggle, and his finasl demise, Obi finding him like that, for me personmally it felt similar to a scene from the original Stargate movie, only in that movie the guy was still alive.

And now the three issues

1. So many humans, even on Tatooine, you’d think Mos Esily would have more aliens; but I didnt see many if any at all ?

2. The Inqusitors ship didnt feel much like a TIE the inqusitors used, I half expected 3 Inqusitor level TIEs to show up…

3. The stormtroopers armor looked kinda… low budget truth be told; by time of Return of the Jedi, the Stormtrooper armor looked higher end, now it kinda feels like a kitbash went crazy

Overall I enjoyed the first two parts, each actor was picked I think perfectly, {with some minor issues, I am now looking into using Reva as an Inqusitor in my own star wars game}

1 Like