Rogue-class P-38 Starfighter

My players will be coming up against a bounty hunter soon. I’ve decided, among other unique qualities for him, that he flies a “Rogue-class” starfighter. We’ve seen this craft in The Clone Wars a bit and in one episode of The Mandalorian.

We don’t seem to have any official stats for it in the books, so I’m making up some. I looked at A-Wings, X-Wings, and N-1 Naboobians for some inspiration. The wookieepedia is also helpful, but some of its information looks out of whack with FFG rules.

“Rogue-class” Porax-38 Starfighter

Silhouette: 3
Speed: 4
Handling: +1

Defenses: 1 - - 1
Armor: 2
Hull Threshold: 12
System Strain Thresh: 8

Hull Type/Class: Starfighter/Porax-38, or Rogue
Manufacturer: Baktoid Armor Workshop
Hyperdrive: Class 2
Navicomputer: Yes
Sensor Range: Close
Ship’s Complement: One pilot
Encumbrance Cap: 5
Passenger Capacity: 0
Consumables: One week
Price/Rarity: 75,000 credits/6
Custom. Hard Points: 2

Weapons: Forward-mounted medium laser cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6;
Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 2)

p-38 TCW

p-38 Xanadu Blood

I was going to suggest that it looks like a less beefy Belbullab-22 Heavy Starfighter and you could use that for inspiration. But it’s pretty much exactly how your stats already line up. Looks good to me! Nice work.

1 Like

That looks fine, but according to Legends Wookiepedia, the price was 120,000. I’d call it a higher-end fighter, so some buffs might be in order.

The balance between armor and HTT is pretty fine, 2/12 or 3/10 are roughly equal, it depends on your vision for it (for example, both are put at their threshold by two hits from a 2 success medium laser cannon). I could see bumping it to 3/12, which puts it above X-Wings, V-19s, and Z-95s in durability, but on par with the Rebellion’s “Heavy” Z-95 retrofit (also, it’s cited as more durable than tri-fighters, but they have a 2/12 spread).

Maybe bump SST to 9.

Maybe bump HP to 3 (perhaps suitable for a cloaking device mod a la Cad Bane?).

From the 65kg number, I’d suggest putting Encumbrance Capacity to 10.

Laser cannons are shown as very rapid-firing, so I could see giving them a special stat with Auto-Fire (maybe 5/3/auto-fire, linked). But at any rate, Linked should be 1 not 2. I assume that was just confusion regarding two guns.

Those are just some basic ideas. But it’s (“Legendonically”) so much more expensive than many other similar fighters that I think some buffs are in order.

1 Like

Thanks, guys!

The price. I went with a cheaper amount because my campaign is set about 5 years (or maybe it’s 10…) after Order 66. So I figured it would be like a surplus starfighter that you don’t see much. I think I’d like to keep the price where it’s at, maybe 80 or 85k, and raise the Rarity to 7. (As an aside, the PCs won’t be interested in buying any of these, but if they somehow capture this one from the bounty hunter, I don’t want to give them too much marketability.)

I like the HT at 2/12. It doesn’t feel like it’s a “heavy fighter” to me. It think it’s more of an interceptor or pursuit class. However, you do make a solid point about durability. Of course, durability can mean different things in ship/vehicle combat. So I’ll raise the SST to 9 as you suggest to represent that durability.

HP to 3 certainly seems reasonable. I have ideas for how this particular NPC outfits his ship, and the extra HP would be useful. (A clamp for a Vulture droid “wingman” and a place to store some buzz droids.

Encumbrance to 10 is fine.

Yeah, my bad on the Linked. Adding Auto-Fire is a nice idea. I’ll give that some thought.

Edit: the Auto-Fire works for me.

1 Like

“Rogue-class” Porax-38 Starfighter

Silhouette: 3
Speed: 4
Handling: +1

Defenses: 1 - - 1
Armor: 2
Hull Threshold: 12
System Strain Thresh: 9

Hull Type/Class: Starfighter/Porax-38, or Rogue
Manufacturer: Baktoid Armor Workshop
Hyperdrive: Class 2
Navicomputer: Yes
Sensor Range: Close
Ship’s Complement: One pilot
Encumbrance Cap: 10
Passenger Capacity: 0
Consumables: One week
Price/Rarity: 80,000 credits/7
Custom. Hard Points: 3

Weapons: Forward-mounted medium laser cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6;
Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1, Auto-Fire)

1 Like