RolePlaying Game Related Quotes

This topic is for quotes about roleplaying. Whether the quotes are deep and meaningful, or lighthearted and funny, feel free to post any quotes you find here!

1 Like

First Quote:

"Good villains think they’re right in what they do. Great villains actually are right.”

@SlyFlourish

1 Like

“When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.”

Raymond Chandler
(Technically a quote about writing, but I think it still applies)

2 Likes

Remember: That which does not kill you was simply not permitted to do so for the purposes of the plot.

Shamus Young, DM of the Rings

What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger… because you get XP for surviving it.

-A friend of mine

4 Likes

They will definitely ask the bartender about the clues, what else they would do?

• My little brother preparing for his first session as GM
2 Likes

Guaranteed, if you [The GM] make the trap completely inescapable, they [The Players] will come up with a dozen different ways to get out of it. If you provide three different ways to avoid or escape the trap, they’ll miss them all and quite possibly end up having to create new characters.

-Darths and Droids, episode 890

5 Likes

If I may dare to quote myself:

I can tell you aren’t experience roleplayers. If you were, you’d probably have dug through every crate and ruthlessly grilled every person in the convoy to try and discover what the nefarious GM is up to.

To some young 'uns I’m GMing for.

3 Likes

The logical argument is a good way to establish the facts about a situation, presenting irrefutable evidence to any potentially hostile NPCs that you’re innocent of whatever they’re accusing you of, or they’ve made some sort of amusing mistake, or that despite all appearances you’re not really trespassing on their property to steal their valuables.

Failing having the facts on your side, the faux-logical argument is just a good way to bamboozle your foes long enough to make a break for it.

-Darths and Droids

1 Like

Stuck for a way to interpret a critical failure roll? Just negate everything the character was trying to do.
(Works best for attempt descriptions with an odd number of negatable phrases.)

-Darths and Droids

GM: The wall is 8 metres high, completely smooth, without any visible seams or protrusions, and coated with pork fat.
Player: I climb it.
GM: … Um… how??
Player: You never said I couldn’t climb it!

1 Like

GM to PC: You receive instructions to find and use non-lethal force to subdue the
assailant. (another PC)
PC: Okay I walk around to find him.
GM: He’s easy to spot.
PC: I shoot him.
GM: Stun setting?
PC: Nah, I aim for the legs.

Incident that happened in one of my games where two of the PC’s got into a fight and the looser happened to own an assassin droid played by another player.

2 Likes

It’s uncanny how much players struggle with the “you can’t blow it up” concept

-One of my regular Players

1 Like

My 15 year (at the time) years old son when asked in his first ever Edge game: ‘There’s a group of 4 Stormtroopers walking in the direction of the person you’re ‘Shadow Bodyguarding’. What will you do?’
His reply: I throw a grenade

‘I throw a grenade’ or ‘Got any grenades?’ became a quote for that round of gaming and the default combat action :smiley:

2 Likes

“Hold my dignity, I got some sketchy stuff to do”

Shadow when actually trying to scare Govenor Pryce

3 Likes

Dropping clues about some important plot point in your adventure is a good way to reveal information. Because if the players work it out for themselves, they feel really clever.

And if they don’t work it out, you can reveal it yourself and then point out all the clues you gave them and how clever you are for making it all seem obvious in hindsight.

-Darths and Droids

4 Likes