Specialty & Flavor Weapons

Being the stat monkey that I am, and feeling that there are weapons in universe that warrant their own stat blocks rather than a reskin of another weapon (especially since variety is the spice of life), I am starting this thread as I come up with homebrew weapons that simply aren’t covered in current source material.

Feel free to post your own ideas as well, as I know I’m not the only one out there that never has enough in terms of more options.

To kick this off, I’m toying with the idea of a weapon currently not seen very often, both in and out of universe: hook swords.

While not the most practical of weapons, I find there are only a handful of flavor “martial” style weapons, and being a long time MK fan (and finding inspiration after seeing the new movie), I don’t think of it our of the realm of possibility of some martial arts proficient order to use such weapons.

My particular flavoring of this style of weapon would act as a maneuver inhibitor weapon, making it difficult for an opponent that is engaged with such weapons to get away from the wielder. As such, for rough base stats are as follows for a single sword.

Damage: +1
Crit: 3
Range: Engaged
Skill: Melee
Hands: One-Handed
Qualities: Defensive 1, Ensnare 1, Knockdown, Unwieldy 3

However, much like the S-1 Vamblade, I’m thinking wielding a pair should warrant some advantages, such as the infamous move of hooking the two ends together to increase the range of the attack.

Paired Hook Swords

Gains Innate Grapple Talent mod / Hook Flourish: As a maneuver, may make an attack at Short range. This attack removes all current Qualities and has Inaccurate 1.

Please feel free to give any feedback on the first idea of this hopefully interactive post!

1 Like

Looks reasonable to me.

Although I’d write the Hook Flourish as follows:
When wielded as a pair, may gain the Prepare 1 Quality to attack at Short range.
This attack removes all current Qualities and has Inaccurate 1.

(I assume you dont want the user to be able to attack using a Maneuver but spend a Maneuver to enable the Ranged attack?)

Ah, yeah, that’s basically what I was aiming for. I always forget Prepare is a thing since most weapons I come across dont use it.

So update on this since the last time I’ve looked at it and have done some more thought into the concrete stats for acquisition by players

Damage: +1
Crit: 3
Range: Engaged
Skill: Melee
Cost: 500
Rarity: 6
Hands: One-Handed
Qualities: Defensive 1, Ensnare 1, Knockdown, Unwieldy 3

Special Rule: When wielded as a pair, may gain the Prepare 1 Quality to attack at Short range.
This attack removes all current Qualities and has Inaccurate 1.

However, with this solidified, I am looking to my next project, which alongside the Chiss Navy I am in the process of constructing (via the Thrawn’s Revenge mod for a basis), I’m finding ill need to build their crews as well, including the charric.

My first instinct is to have something with a Burn 1 quality at Medium range and a low Pierce rating (1-2), but I’m curious if anyone has seen any other ideas outside of reskins or have any additional input on the non traditional weaponry?