Update From Edge Stuidos

Considering that headline and article (which has shown up on a number of sites) all stem from the same release from last week, I don’t think the headline’s conclusion is necessarily accurate. It could be…but would seem to contradict a pretty straightforward statement supplied by Edge. It could also just as easily be misunderstanding Sam’s statement about getting new content (likely with new - to the game - eras covered) out there.

Time will tell.

1 Like

I’m also on board that the Polygon news article is misleading. Read the official release from Edge Studio that the Polygon article is linked and referenced from. Deleting hoopla and leaving just the information regarding what will be done with Star Wars:

We want to follow in the footsteps of FFG’s fantastic work over the years, while bringing our own vision of what a Star Wars RPG should be. Edge will be exploring some of the many eras of Star Wars, revisiting old classics while venturing into the exciting new frontiers of this setting. The studio looks forward to building on the legacy begun with Fantasy Flight games, who launched the wildly successful Star Wars roleplaying game Edge of the Empire.

Nothing in this says they are planning on creating a new game. This could easily just mean they are creating new material for the now-Edge Star Wars RPG. “Revisiting old classics” could mean new material for the original FFG Rebellion era or even updates to FFG books. “Venturing into exciting new frontiers of this setting” may mean Mando, Book of Boba Fett, etc.

Sam Gregor-Stewart, said that he is looking forward to revisiting the Star Wars galaxy.
“…I’m really thrilled to have a chance to try something new! I hope we can create something fresh for our fans"…

“Revisiting”, “new”, and “something fresh”, doesn’t necessarily mean a new game system, just new material. This could easily mean new material for the old game system we already have.

With the licensing deal reached, Edge is also working to ensure reprints of existing Star Wars Roleplaying products will be available to fans around the world.

Notice that this statement has the word “also” as if none of the previous statements were simply about reprints. So yes, actual new stuff coming. What the new stuff exactly is we don’t know.

When you break it down, none of the official announcements or quotes mentioned in the article say anything about a new game system. Only new material and reprints are mentioned. So a title of, " A new Star Wars tabletop role-playing game is on the way from an experienced team" is jumping to a huge conclusion. They should have went with, “New Star Wars tabletop role-playing releases are on the way from an experienced team”.

3 Likes

Yep. But a more accurate title wouldn’t generate the clicks. So the content gets misrepresented.

1 Like

And literal seconds after posting that, I saw this cross-posted on FB, entirely by chance:

1 Like

I don’t twitter, tweet, whatever its called. But I really wanted to ask Ziggy to actually read the post he referred to as some sort of evidence Edge had made such a post. The evidence he pointed to wasn’t a post by Edge and only the misleading title mentioned a new game.

1 Like

Glad to see other folks have similar interpretation of the post. I was really confused when I saw that article, since I didn’t see any evidence for a new system, but I was wondering if I was just reading it wrong. Good to see I am not the only one. It would certainly be a bummer if a new system started again (a 2.0 wouldn’t be bad, but a whole new system would be a real pain).

3 Likes

I agree with that.
(Also welcome to the forum)
A 2.0 would definitely not be good for those who invested into every book made by FFG, and I don’t think they will do something like that (unless they need a big money grab).
We all saw what happened with X-Wing. It wasn’t pretty.

At some point, a new or revised edition of any long-running RPG is inevitable. Whenever possible, I think studios would be wise to see the benefit of revisions over full-on new editions, building in as much backwards-compatibility as possible with their existing library. In the case of this game, I think there are definitely some lessons to be learned from the years of use and development, as well as Genesys (and the player contributions in the Genesys Foundry).

But, I don’t think we’re going to see that for this game in the immediate future (“immediate” meaning the next handful of years). And, Edge’s responses to Polygon’s misrepresentation of the announcement seem to bear that out.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind a 1.2 edition. Just not a 2.0 quite yet. Incorporate some good changes from Genesys. Clarify and edit a few things. Have one core book. That sort of thing without making my stacks of sourcebooks obsolete.

3 Likes

Sorry that sort of thing was what I was envisioning with 2.0. An update and clarification without a complete redo. Guess I was using the wrong terminology. I agree, rewriting and having to rebuy all these books is not a good thing.

The terminology depends on the category. For video games, 2.0 just means a big update, and [Name] II would be the “new version”/sequel as in new system.

I think it would be good for them to go through and clean things up a bit (“bug fixes” if you will, although I doubt that’s high on anyone’s priority list), maybe release a universal core. However, if they did, it should probably lack careers and specializations, but provide all of the Force powers that are in FaD. Maybe give a couple new Universal specs.

Reason being, it would be a bad business decision to compile all of the base careers and specializations into a single book since that takes away much of the point of the other cores.

I see basically two plausible/desirable approaches:

1. Completely trim it down. Bare-bones rules, no careers, specializations, gear, vehicles, Force powers, etc.
  2. Trim out the more tailored aspects of it, making something with general applicability but that doesn’t copy too much of the other cores.

However, this makes it virtually useless unless you already have the books, in which case pretty much everything there is duplicated (and so virtually useless).

The way to make it worthwhile is to also release a compendium of Careers and Specializations so that you can buy two books and have a whole set, rather than three.

However, I’m not sure they’d take this approach at all unless they take option 1 and add some rule changes/fixes and maybe overhaul the vehicle rules (that reminds me, I need to polish mine up and post them here).

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind if they added “Star Wars Roleplaying Supplements” books like the black series Allies and Adversaries. That way you can add the new rules you wanted and keep what you liked.

2 Likes

Agreed. An updated and expanded version of that, with in-depth rules for making villains and other minor enemies for newbies, would be awesome.

2 Likes

I would buy a new core, with updated rules (social encounters, revised vehicle rules, maybe revised crafting?) but keeping the base game. (It worked for FaD and AoR - basicly the same rules, but some extra content).
It would need some new specs, they should introduce some careers, so if someone picks it up can start the game without old books, but needs new specs / unviersals / force powers that old players are interested in too.
It doesn’t sound impossible, but who knows if they take the effort?

That would be a bit of a mess, due to Obligation and Morality being different systems.

I would like to see some talents changed, in updates. The main one I can think of, off the top of my head, is the one from Seer - Forewarning.

Are there any news if / when the studio continues with new stuff?
We had a short discussion at our last round and there was a rumor that the project died.

During FFG’s management of the license, new content typically wasn’t announced until it was far enough along in the development process to include a release window. Under Edge, with Sam still RPG Director, it’s reasonable to conclude that this same practice will continue.

With the hurdles to formally transfer the license from one Asmodee imprint to another just cleared in October, it’s also reasonable to conclude that no development resources were dedicated to any new projects until around that time. (It’s just bad business sense to spend time and money on a project that you don’t know you’ll be able to release.) And, that’s without factoring in Edge (hopefully) being smart and building the current supply chain delays into their release windows. (Ex: The Avatar Legends RPG had a goal of February/March 2022 for release of the physical books. Between the success of the Kickstarter and supply shortages - their original printer doesn’t have the cardboard for the required quantity of books, for exampe - the physical books are now looking at Summer 2022.)

So, I don’t expect any announcements regarding new content until later in this quarter at the earliest.

4 Likes

I’m sure Sam has soft confirmed new products coming down the pipeline. I think we’d have had more but as people have said contracts exchanging are probably slowing things up.

1 Like

I asked Edge Studios if there any updates for SWRPG. Here is their response.

"Hello …,

We are still wainting on the reprint approval from LFL.
Of course we working on something, we also submit new project, and we wait for approval :wink:

Best."

Sébastien Soueix
Responsable Communication / Community Manager
T 0534551906
P +33 630183523