"Always in motion is the future" - Spoilers & Speculation Thread!

Update

I just received the second question answer and I just posted it to the FFG answered question section. It was answer by Edge studio.

"Sébastien Soueix

Responsable Communication / Community Manager"

T 0534551906

P +33 630183523

https://discord.gg/mTRPrc6z8S

https://edge-studio.net/

1 Like

So, yeah…sounds like corporate synergy at work. I imagine, even if the form is on FFG’s site, since it’s all Asmodee, automation in the email submission system routes questions flagged as RPG-related to a queue in Edge’s email system. (Says someone who, as part of his daily work duties, makes sure the emails in his company’s email support queues are in the right queue, and the automation didn’t, for example, send an email for European support to us here in the US. :crazy_face: )

1 Like

Okay, so there’s definitely life in the customer support/rules answers side of things! That’s good to hear. :slight_smile:

(Although they need to clean up their terminology a bit: a talent is not a skill.)

Great to hear, hopefully they set up some English communication channels too.

I agree it would be nice to have it in English.

Yeah. Not to be That Guy ™, but - for example - their very specifically named “Edge Studio (English)” Twitter account has some pretty glaring grammar, syntax, and spelling errors in their posts. I mean, I get that it’s staffed by the Edge team in Europe, but it’s not a good look for a professional business account.

And, the other shoe drops.

I’m shocked…shocked, I say! Who could have possibly looked at the moves of 2020/21 - development team layoffs at FFG and AMG plus corporate restructuring to appear leaner and more profitable - and possibly foreseen this?

Only anyone paying attention.

1 Like

Wow that is very interesting. I’m wondering how this will effect SWRPG. I hoping this is good news.

Since it’s Asmodee itself (which would bring all the imprints with it), best case scenario is business as usual, especially now that Edge has reported ironing out all of the rights issues to formally take over the line. Ideally, anyone interested in buying finds the whole business, including the valuable licensed IPs like Star Wars and Marvel, attractive enough to tinker minimally. Personally, I’d figured the corporate restructuring was to enable the sale of the imprints separately, which could have been a nightmare for all of the Star Wars games, since (I believe, anyway) all of the SW games produced by the various imprints fall under the same tabletop license.

1 Like

Oh please I hope you are right. Just somone buy it and start printing money.

Eh, not that easy. Just because people will buy your product doesn’t mean you’re “printing money.”
You can sell out all your stock as fast as you can make it and still be losing money. It all depends on a variety of factors.

Absolutely true. However I’d be surprised if even the reprints were generating loss.
Developing new books is another matter

-Considering zero to little information about the FFG/Edge Studio Star Wars RPG line came out from GenCon (unless I missed it), I think reprints of existing books is the most likely future for now.
-Aside from that, considering that Paizo FINALY is going to go the same route as WOTC and its DM Guild self-publishing format; I would prefer that Edge do the same for this game license and let the community create future content (-50% revenue cut of course), instead of letting this game version die and/or have limited official releases.

Star Wars Armada = reprints only/on death watch
/Sad Giorgio

Being totally fair, that’s a result of the AMG dev team layoff to make things leaner/appear more profitable for the sale, similar to the FFG RPG dev team layoff in early 2020 before the corporate restructure.

1 Like

We do know hoever that they recently arranged the Star Wars licence for RPGs.
Meaning if they start hiring now for development still a 2 years for new products, but now we have hope.
Reprints could come sooner.

My gut tells me that, just as they seem to have largely done with Genesys, L5R, and the Midnight d20 conversion, they’ll stay lean on staff devs and use mostly freelance creators. But now that Edge has the official all-clear to take over production of the RPG, hopefully we will see some movement on new material soon. (Personally, I’d love a Sequel era book and, since timing would allow for all of it to be out, a High Republic era book for “phase one.”)

I’m a bit “meh” about the Sequel era, but would probably still buy a sourcebook for it if one is published.

I did note, however, that a number of Mandalorian items did not make it into the Gadgets and Gear collection. Now I’m wondering if a Mandalore (the planet)/“The Mandalorian” (the show) sourcebook is being planned. Granted, some of the Mandalorian items did re-appear earlier, getting their second appearance in the two Clone Wars sourcebooks. And two “The Mandalorian”/“The Book of Boba Fett” series have yet to finish (or even start in the latter’s case). So maybe there will be a long wait for that sourcebook idea to come to fruition.

2 Likes